• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm sorry, but are you actually discounting a scientific calculator that can be hacked to run third-party software, like this spectrum analyzer? Geez, talk about your calculator snobs...

:scratch:

I'm not a SNOB!!!! Hey some of my friends use TIs. Well, maybe not a real friend; someone we let do the simple stuff. Besides, what is wrong with having pride in my HP heritage!! I'm HP and proud! It is time we, HP, stop apologizing for being created better.

RPN is from GOD and parentheses is of the devil. Longer will we, HP, sit by as TIs and Casios invade our schools. The left wing media moguls are in on it also. Notice all the examples in math books shows TI keys! The "T" in TI stands for Texas. Texas is next to Mexico; Mexico has drug cartels ......

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    10Fingers.jpg

Just don't ask me to count to 21 or I'll get busted for indecent exposure.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I'm getting all misty eyed reading Rhino's memoirs about his HP calculators.

My first HP was an HP35. However it didn't have '35' printed on it because there weren't any other models created yet!

1388765993_6e9e3fc098.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh noooo, I'm a geek too. My 41c came from Service Merchandise also, except it was in Evansville on Green River Road. The 11C was the best darn calculator they made. The only reaosn I have the 32 model is the 11c was discontinued and I wanted a spare. How sad is that?:D

I got my 11C in early 1984, I think. I did the first 2/3 of my freshman year with a little Sharp scientific and an old TI (don't remember the model, but I got it on 1979 or 1980). When I was finally able to get the HP, I was able to join the rest of the nerds properly (the equivalent of sitting at the k00l kIDz table at lunch for normal people).

I've been using my HP 48SX this weekend. I forgot how much easier it is to do vector calculations with an HP than it is with . . . anything else. The search is still on for my manuals as well as a .pdf version somewhere.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm getting all misty eyed reading Rhino's memoirs about his HP calculators.

My first HP was an HP35. However it didn't have '35' printed on it because there weren't any other models created yet!

DUDE! OLD SCHOOL LED DISPLAY!! Woo-hoo!

I've actually handled one of those. A guy had one that he inherited from his father after he passed away. He let me look at it, but cautioned me that "it doesn't work like regular calculators." Ah, to be so innocent again.

My family had one of the first TI scientifics with an LED display, but the keys and display died at about the same time after a few years of heavy use. I also had a Rockwell with a blue LED display.

I'm pretty sure all of 'em came from Service Merchandise, too!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Ok...I guess I better fess up...besides the 28C that I mentioned earlier in this thread, I also own a HP 48GX. I guess I'm a nerd/geek. :):

I bought the 48GX in a pawn shop for $10 because the pawn shop owner thought it didn't work...he thought it operated like a standard calulator...LOL

Calulators.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So...what's the best pocket protector to use? :):

That's an excellent question.

The classic would be the white plastic, as shown in your photo. I've not seen them for sale lately, so it could be tough to find. You can get a colorless/transluscent 2-pack at STAPLES, but they won't make you the essence of nerdly sartorial splendor like the classic white.

When I was an undergrad, we nerds were issued a blue pocket protector with the standard graphics kits with STAEDTLER-MARS printed on them. The bookstore sold them "loose" as well.

VOILA! Pocket Protectors

electra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Hmm . . . well, i think old school is the way to go . . . still running the good 'ol olive drab HP-67 here, but it never did fit in my Kemade Nerd-Insert pocket protector! -could only fit the magnetic cards in there. Something about those LED displays seems a lot more visible (and familiar).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmm . . . well, i think old school is the way to go . . . still running the good 'ol olive drab HP-67 here, but it never did fit in my Kemade Nerd-Insert pocket protector! -could only fit the magnetic cards in there. Something about those LED displays seems a lot more visible (and familiar).

What years were the HP-67 made?

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Back in the day, real men used a slide rule. Men amoung men carried the Post Versalog pocket slide rule with clip holster. I was a man amoung men!:rockwoot:......Am I dating myself ?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is making me want to get an old school HP with an LED display to use as a "loaner" at school. It might surprise some, but it no longer does me, but a significant number of students come to a physics class on exam day without a calculator and ask to borrow one of mine. Handing them an HP from the late 1970s would be fun, fun, fun.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    It might surprise some, but it no longer does me, but a significant number of students come to a physics class on exam day without a calculator and ask to borrow one of mine. Handing them an HP from the late 1970s would be fun, fun, fun.

If you did that to me, I might break down and weep! :D :n00b:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you did that to me, I might break down and weep! :D :n00b:

If I did it to you, it would be a gesture of respect, nerd brotherhood, and honor!

BTW ... did you join the Order of the Engineer? I didn't, but I wish I had my stainless steel pinkie ring sometimes. I regret not joining Tau Beta Pi too, but I did join Pi Tau Sigma.

Top Bottom