• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryanflathead45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Hello All,

I'm a complete scope buying newbie. I need help finding a good scope for the new Ruger M77 MKII Target in .223 that I just purchared.

the gun came with the factory Ruger Rings. And by looking at the Ruger website these rings should work with a 1 inch tube scope with an objective up to 42mm. If I stick with scopes with a 1 inch tube I can swap out just one ring and go up to a 52 mm objective.

Sticking to scopes with 1 inch tubes would be my choice, so that I can reduce the cost or rings.

My plan for this rifle is to shoot in 100 yard target matches at the local range. I would like to have fine crosshairs, and adjustable objective. I don't need to have the very best, but I don't want to buy something that is complete junk either.

I would like to spend in the $200 to $300 range. But if I need to spend a little more to get a better quality scope, I can go up a little.

Any input would be great, thanks in advance,
    Ryan

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Send 42769vette an IM on here. He owns A&A Optics and I looked at some of his scopes at the 1500 over the weekend. I was very impressed with the quality and prices on these scopes. He also knows his business and will give you plenty of good advice and get you heading in the right direction. The Ruger 77 is one of my favorite rifles btw. :yesway:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    For paper punching at 100 yds I'd go at least 12X.

If you want a larger objective scope you will need to swap out BOTH rings, not just one (unless the ring set that came with it is of two different heights for specific position and the new single ring purchase would allow an original ring to be moved to a different location thereby offering the same thing as factory "higher set" for that rifle).

Note: I saw a gent crush a Leupold 6.5-20X. Didn't know he had the rings in the wrong positions (on some Ruger guns there are definitely specific front and rear rings!). Can't remember if it was a reg 77 or a 77 MK2........he didn't check first with a 1" bar, just slapped it in, cranked one down, and then the next and went "oops".

I was just a customer at that shop and witnessed the crunch, was yrs ago. bet that still stings though :)

Ryanflathead45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    I tried to send 42769vette a PM but I did got have a high enough post count to send PM's

Hopefully he will see this thread and post his advice along with others.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    You might want to check your Local Range to see if they have a rule limiting the amount of magnification you can use in the class you will be competing in. As others have already stated vette from A&A Optics seems like a honest guy. Or maybe try to find a good used Weaver T36...you will apperciate being able to see those little .223 holes if the wind pics up. Good Luck!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    feel free to email me at alan@aaoptics.com. for short range (100 yds) paper punching, with ao look at this
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 4-12x40 AO Dead-Hold BDC

its 12x wich is more than enough for your stated purpose, get the bdc reticle that way you have holdover points incase you decide to strech its legs a little. it has capped finger turrets to make signtin and dialing for range easier (if you decide to shoot a little further). vortex is the only scope company i have ever heard of that "covers stupid" for there warrenty. if you take this scope home and run it over with a dump truck and it breaks, you send it to wisconsin and they will fix or replace (almost always replace) your scope in 7-10 business days. basically they dont care whos fault it is, if its not working they dont want it out there advertising their scopes. if you think about it its a smart way to do business. what percent of advertising is word of mouth (90%:dunno:). how much good word of mouth will you get if the scope is not 100% at all times.

i always like to recomend a scope that allows the user room to grow if the budget allows. your budget does allow for that with the above scope. its a great scope for the money.

vortex lists it at 360ish. i ship them to your door for 299 plus tax with bdc reticle, and 289 plus tax with a plex reticle. i have both instock but in my opinion the bdc is easily worth the extra 10 bucks.

if you have questions you dont want to post send me a email at the above address.

Ryanflathead45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    42769vette,
    How do the new Crossfire II scopes compare in quality to the Diamondback scopes?

I see that they make a crossfire II with a little more power than the Diamondback.

I put a used 4-12 scope that I bought from a friend, just to test the gun out and I don't think 12 power is going to be enough to get the job done. The targets that they shoot at in the matches are only about 2 inches at the outside ring.

There is no limit on scope size for these matches.

Thanks again for the help.
    Ryan

brasshead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Don't let money get in your way. Figure out how much you are willing to spend then add at least 2,000,000 dollars!:D

Just kidding, I have a 3200 elite 5x15x40 that is very clear you are welcome to check it out if you want. As far as power is concerned my 5x15 is border line for the targets we shoot at for bench rest. The x is a dot about 1/8".

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    42769vette,
    How do the new Crossfire II scopes compare in quality to the Diamondback scopes?

I see that they make a crossfire II with a little more power than the Diamondback.

I put a used 4-12 scope that I bought from a friend, just to test the gun out and I don't think 12 power is going to be enough to get the job done. The targets that they shoot at in the matches are only about 2 inches at the outside ring.

There is no limit on scope size for these matches.

Thanks again for the help.
    Ryan

to be honest im not sure yet. i have 1 to test now but but i have not got it to the field yet. im hoping to get to that this weekend. my initial impressions are

1 i cant believe the clarity folks are going to get for the money they will spend

2 clicks are very positive and autible. much more so than anything else in there price range.

3 im told it functions perfectly, that said i wont vouvh for it until i put it to work myself. i will vouch for the fact that if it doesnt function perfectly vortex will make it right by replacing/fixing the scope.

4 just by looking at the glass i think its every bit as good as the diamondback line. the diamondback line tracks perfectly. that will be the test for the crossfire 2 that will make it or break it

Top Bottom