• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'm one of those guys that perspires a lot - even in the cold wearing my hunting bibs. When I lay my gun across my lap or holt it close to my body the scope will fog. When it's cold -- as it often is in deer season -- the lenses will frost.

Aside from keeping the lenses meticulously clean, have any of you used anything to try to prevent foggin? Would Rain-X work?

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Fogging on the old scope that I use to own, was on the inside. If it was me,I would just replace it. I had that problem a few years ago. Cost me a shot at a nice buck.
    Nothing is more frustrating than raising your gun and you cant see through the scope.
    As far as RainX working,it might,but why take a chance.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Nikon's Anti-Fog product works great. When I set my hunting guns up, especially my wife's, I make sure I treat all the scopes beforehand. I have scope caps on all my rifled scopes, but it still combats the fog you might get accidentally breathing on your scope while in a stand. Make sure you use the scope glass cleaner after you apply the anti-fog, to get the glaze off.

Last edited:

JamesZX1100

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    NE INDY
    If you're able too, I would purchase a newer scope and get the scope rings with the SEE-THRU sights. If not, I would get some of the Anti-Fog stuff that Nikon has out!

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    If the scope is fogging on this inside, replace it. On the outside, set your gun out for a few hours before the hunt to get it adjusted to the outdoor temperature. This should cure the problem. Also a anti-fog liquid is available. I use it on by diving mask. Will work for any glass surface.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks Titanium Man, I'll check out the Nikon stuff.

Also... yes, the fog is definitely on the outside, the "steam" if you will is condesing on the cold glass surface. There are no fogging problems unless I hold the gun close to my body, it's not due to taking a warm gun out into the cold.

Top Bottom