• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    42769Vette I need your advice. I'm looking for a scope to use for my first appleseed. It will be going on a stock 10/22 carbine. After the appleseed, it's primary use will be for target shooting/hunting, from 25-100 yds.

I'll put a scope budget of $250 on it, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Also if you have any suggestions for mount/rings, extended rail for prone position, cheek riser, etc. I'm all ears.

Thank you!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I wont be able to hit your 250 dollar budget. Ill come in a good bit lower which most people find to be a good thing. For any rimfire AS rifle I have an AS package I recommend.

Vortex CS2 2-7 rimfire 119
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire V-Plex Rimfire

This scope is the proper zoom range for your purpose, has rimfire parallax (meaning set for 50 yds) so its parallax is right in the middle of where you will be shooting, brass turrets that track spot on, and its priced right.

EGW extended base 40

This base allows you to mount the scope further forward so you can shoot with a turkey neck more comfortably. If this is your first seed you will see folks who can not shoot the way instructed because there scope is pushed as far forward as possible, and its still to close.

Warne Maxima med rings 38

You dont actually need MED height for this setup, but to take full advantage of the extended base you will need to get the zoom ring above the base. These rings allow the scope zoom ring to just clear the base so you can take advantage of those last few slots of rail.

Beorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I appreciate your response.

I've never owned a scope, but I've been reading a lot about them and I have a question. With a fixed parallax of 50yds, would I need to have a very consistent cheek weld for my POA to equal my POI at 25 yds? Would a scope with an adjustable objective make life easier?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I doubt very many people are a good enough shooter to be able to tell how much parallax is influencing the shot when its only off by 25 or even 50/100 yards. ESP when using a sling as the primary support, and shooting non high end rifles. There are many other variables that will influence the shot WAY more than shooting 25 yards with a parallax set at 50.

Beorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I doubt very many people are a good enough shooter to be able to tell how much parallax is influencing the shot when its only off by 25 or even 50/100 yards. ESP when using a sling as the primary support, and shooting non high end rifles. There are many other variables that will influence the shot WAY more than shooting 25 yards with a parallax set at 50.

Ok. So a good consistent cheek weld(eye in the same spot looking through the scope each shot) will eliminate parallax error?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ok. So a good consistent cheek weld(eye in the same spot looking through the scope each shot) will eliminate parallax error?

Eliminate no, make consistent yes. Basically you may still have some parallax error, but it will be the same every time IF you have a consistent cheek weld.

Your parallax setting being closer to the range your shooting just adds forgiveness. Being within 25yds is very forgiving. A adjustable parallax is better, but I doubt you can tell the difference when shooting 25yds with a 50 yd setting.

Parallax is something folks tend to make a mountain out of a mole hill with. Does it matter? Yes it does. Does it matter of a 4moa target? It could turn those shots that barley broke the line into a bullet hold that doesn't not break the line, but its un likley.

If you want a parallax correctable scope I would go with this priced at 300 with a plex reticle. The nice thing about this is it comes with FREE 70 dollar rings (really nice). That helps take some of the sting out of the price difference.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have the rifleman patch X3. Once with an AR 15. Once with a M1 Garand. Once with a bolt action 22. All iron sights

A scope is not necessary for Appleseed.

It is somewhat sad that you think you need magnification at 25 yards.

42769vette will not lead you wrong though. He knows his scopes.

But a rifleman doesn't need a scope for his battle rifle.

Beorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have the rifleman patch X3. Once with an AR 15. Once with a M1 Garand. Once with a bolt action 22. All iron sights

A scope is not necessary for Appleseed.

It is somewhat sad that you think you need magnification at 25 yards.

42769vette will not lead you wrong though. He knows his scopes.

But a rifleman doesn't need a scope for his battle rifle.

I hear you. Since I developed an interest in Appleseed I've been practicing with Tech Sights on AS AQT targets and homemade 2" round targets. I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1985 and my vision will fluctuate from day to day due to my blood sugar. I am near sighted and have corrective lenses. Some days my vision will be pretty good and I can just make out those stage4 targets. Other days I can't see those S4 targets at all. I've tried the aperture inserts for the Tech Sights and they seem to help a little. I really want to, and still may, achieve a rifleman's patch with iron sights.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I hear you. Since I developed an interest in Appleseed I've been practicing with Tech Sights on AS AQT targets and homemade 2" round targets. I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1985 and my vision will fluctuate from day to day due to my blood sugar. I am near sighted and have corrective lenses. Some days my vision will be pretty good and I can just make out those stage4 targets. Other days I can't see those S4 targets at all. I've tried the aperture inserts for the Tech Sights and they seem to help a little. I really want to, and still may, achieve a rifleman's patch with iron sights.

Don't feel bad, our founders used the best equipment they could get there hands on as well. Use what gets you on the line.

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville

I also have a rifleman patch x2 and my suggestion is to use what ever you need to go have fun. If you are going to use a scope, I would suggest that you dial back the magnification to the lowest effective setting you need to get a good sight picture.

Top Bottom