• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Do any of you guys use higher powered scopes strictly for load development? I have been thinking of buying an affordable 6X24 just for the purpose of shooting groups, then switching back to the old trusty 3X9 for hunting. Any recommendations on a cheap scope that will hold up for bench work?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Do any of you guys use higher powered scopes strictly for load development? I have been thinking of buying an affordable 6X24 just for the purpose of shooting groups, then switching back to the old trusty 3X9 for hunting. Any recommendations on a cheap scope that will hold up for bench work?

ive considered buying a scope just for load development. i was thinking 42x nightforce but i never wanted it bad enough to spend that kind of money.

for what your talking about your 3-9 is going to be easier to shoot groups with than a straight 6x so i dont see the "upgrade" in what your doing.

also defining cheap would help with a scope recomendation

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    ive considered buying a scope just for load development. i was thinking 42x nightforce but i never wanted it bad enough to spend that kind of money.

for what your talking about your 3-9 is going to be easier to shoot groups with than a straight 6x so i dont see the "upgrade" in what your doing.

also defining cheap would help with a scope recomendation
    To clarify, I am talking a 6 X 24 X 1" tube. I was thinking more along the lines of using the upper range (24X) for the bench work. The neighborhood of $300 is probably the max i am looking to spend, any ideas?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think he meant a 6-24 varible scope.

I picked up a nice 10X fixed and put warne QD rings on it. It works to 100 yards but i wish it was a 12X or 16X. Since it came with a rifle purchase the price was right. Easy on easy off and it tracks and holds well.

Lots of rimfire shooters use the BSA platnium 6-24's but i don't know if they would hold up to the recoil of big rounds. Lifetime warranty cheap cost. they make a 8-32 also. Once again I see them on rimfires.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    To clarify, I am talking a 6 X 24 X 1" tube. I was thinking more along the lines of using the upper range (24X) for the bench work. The neighborhood of $300 is probably the max i am looking to spend, any ideas?

got ya. when i saw 6x24 not 6-24 i got fixed power in my brain and it was not making scence how that would be helpfull.

i have 1 6-24x50 old style vortex crossfire left. the only thing is its 30mm tube. how stuck are you on a 1 inch tube?

Top Bottom