• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In the past I've had excellent results with a couple of Bushnell Banners on 12 gauge 870 slug guns.

They were not made in China though, and the new Banners are.
    Seen too many new ones come back with problems at my bud's place of employment.

So I can't in good faith recommend that line anymore.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I really like the Vortex scope that you posted vette...... I am leery of dealers touting what they have as the only thing to have, tho.... I dealt with that for years in archery..... I would really like to see the vortex tho... Will you be at the Deer and Turkey expo ?

I wont be at the Deer and Turkey expo. As I said earlier I understand being leary of folks trying to sell stuff, but if you look threw my forum
    A&A Optics - INGunOwners

I have a pretty decent reputation for being honest, and right.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    This thread has come along at a good time for me as I and my son both have the same H&R rifles in .44 Mag. I have a Leupold VXII 2-7x on mine, but he has a lower end Bushnell on his and its not a good zero-holder in any way.

Vette, I AM interested in Vortex so what would be a comparable scope to the Leupold mentioned above and/or what would you recommend for such a rifle?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    This thread has come along at a good time for me as I and my son both have the same H&R rifles in .44 Mag. I have a Leupold VXII 2-7x on mine, but he has a lower end Bushnell on his and its not a good zero-holder in any way.

Vette, I AM interested in Vortex so what would be a comparable scope to the Leupold mentioned above and/or what would you recommend for such a rifle?

pm sent

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Illuminated optics can work against you in low light shooting into dark brush or under growth. You will lose sight of the deer and all you will see is a red dot coming back at you. Using 3x at close range, like on a moving deer near your stand is a cluster. At 150 yards 3 to 4x is plenty. Go low end 1x or 1.5x. Get the best glass you can for your budget.

Nikon, Burris or Vortex all make good low power scopes.

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    So... if you dial down the illunination..... does it help in low light ? Just wondering about the whole illumination thing.... It seems like a great thing..... sometimes, crosshairs are hard to see.... low light, etc... is it worse with an illuminated dot ???

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    So... if you dial down the illunination..... does it help in low light ? Just wondering about the whole illumination thing.... It seems like a great thing..... sometimes, crosshairs are hard to see.... low light, etc... is it worse with an illuminated dot ???

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Illumination is like 4x4 on a truck. You dont need it often, but when you do your glad its there.

Somtimes when illumination is not done right it will bleed off into the reticle and make the whole thing look blurry. The lower setting will help with that, but somtimes it doesnt help enough for the Illumination to be useful

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    So... Is illumination good or bad ? I have to think it would be good.... assuming that you can turn it off..... I haven't had any experience with it so far.....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So... Is illumination good or bad ? I have to think it would be good.... assuming that you can turn it off..... I haven't had any experience with it so far.....

Quality illumination is a good thing to have, but on some scopes the illumination (when on) does more harm than good.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Does anyone else have any experience with the Bushnells ?

I have had a number of them through the years and still have a few sitting in the parts bin. Mine have ranged from the basic shotgun scope, a few banner dusk&dawns, and several from the Elite series (3200-6500.)

The optics are OK to good in their price range, but the turrets and adjustment range have always left me wanting and the view at high magnification always seemed darker than equivalent competition just a few $$s more.

In your price range I much prefer the Nikon or Vortex 2-7x for the glass, however.

On the IR, I like to have it if I plan on night hunting with lights (coyote or certain varmints) but have found myself not having it on my favorite deer scopes. Turning the power down definitely helps the red-glow effect, but I still find I would rather throw the few extra $$s into better glass than into the IR system (since IR is a feature, I always assume I am paying for it somewhere.) Spending my money on better glass allows me to identify the deer sooner in the AM while IR just makes the crosshairs clear, but leaves the deer in grey. YMMV.

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    I do kinda like the Vortex scopes... and don't know if I need illumination... but, in low light, I thought it would help..... I dunno....... I know that I don't need a high power for my 44 mag rifle, but just want to put the best I can afford, which will help me kill deer....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Never had a problem seeing the crosshairs of my scopes when hunting, even at the edges of legal light.
    In fact, I rather dislike the heavy duplex stuff some manufacturers tout as being ideal for such use.
    Regular boring old centerfire Leupolds for me. Why, I even ran a gloss compact 4X for years on a matte finish 870! :eek:
    It was kinda gangly in profile compared to the current offerings, but it was better in FOV and ER.
    Got it yrs ago, from Ballentine's. Like new, in box with all paperwork.
    They used to have some cool stuff.
    Can't remember if that was at a 1500 or Bill Goodman show. Man I miss the Goodman shows :(

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Top Bottom