• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    Im wondering where i can find a good scope/rail mount that mounts to the side of the receiver of my Romain Ak-47. Im really not sure where to find one. I would like to have it where i can either set up the rings for the scope or a reflex type site that just mounts on the rail. Im not sure if this helps or not but here is a pic of the set up that my AK has for the side mount.
    100_0053.jpg

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    There was a gun show in Muncie a couple weekends ago, a vendor was selling them there. Otherwise check Amazon, they have decent prices on them as well as Midway and Cheaperthandirt.com. I'd recommend getting one of the quick-release ones, they seem to have better reviews.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Make sure the one you order is for the AK and not the SVD. There is a slight difference that will keep the SVD mount from sliding onto the AK side plate. At a glance they look the same, but are not.

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    Side mounts are trash, get an Ultimak
    or a Krebs rail
    neither of these are anything i am looking the first one would not work with what i am doing with my AK and the 2nd isnt what im looking for either to be honest.

And also i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a cheaper decent reflex type site. im not lookin for top of the line just something that works

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    If you are going to go side mount and are willing to deal with the flex, then go COMBLOCk for the mount and try to find a Kobra. The russian optic setups may not be the most precise, but they work pretty well and can take a hit like a spetznaz recruit.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    UTG quick disconnect side mount. Tru-Glo red dot and mako 3x magnifier.

IMG00033-20100123-2112.jpg

DSC00705.JPG

Primary Arms Kalinka 30mm with primary arms aimpoint clone. Like this one because it co-witnesses. Haven't shot it yet and it's just roughly mounted. Need to get it dialed in and leveled better obviously.
    DSC00850.JPG

Can move this forward and back depending on where you're comfortable with it at.
    DSC00849.JPG

DSC00852.JPG

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Side mounts are trash, get an Ultimak
    or a Krebs rail

Russian side mount optics will walk all over any US optics costing up to 5x more.

Side mount scope+rings and all that garbage are truly junk, especially the UTG side mounts.

Go for an actual side mount optic instead of some sorry compromise of a mount and a cheap chinese scope.

Check out kalinka optics. POSPs are on the cheaper end of things, for the best stick with anything made by NPZ. Eastwave has some of the more exotic stuff and most of the same things as well.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Russian side mount optics will walk all over any US optics costing up to 5x more.

Side mount scope+rings and all that garbage are truly junk, especially the UTG side mounts.

Go for an actual side mount optic instead of some sorry compromise of a mount and a cheap chinese scope.

Check out kalinka optics. POSPs are on the cheaper end of things, for the best stick with anything made by NPZ. Eastwave has some of the more exotic stuff and most of the same things as well.

"IF" that were true then I would think I would be seeing all the firearms instructors using them and NOT ultimaks with aimpoint micros.:dunno:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    "IF" that were true then I would think I would be seeing all the firearms instructors using them and NOT ultimaks with aimpoint micros.:dunno:

That's just because they can't get used to a different system.

Sort of how they all like to americanize their AKs with rails everywhere and every possible heavy thing they can get their hands on.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If what the OP wants is a side mount - as I believe he said in his post - I would suggest looking at kalinkaoptics.com. Select "Mounts for AKs" and look at the range of choices. You can get side mounts ranging from $52 - $130 dollars which will range in height from high (so you can use your iron sights for backup) to low (may co-witness with sights depending upon your setup) and with various lengths of Picatinny/Weaver rails. Once you pick out a rail style that seems likely to work for your particular application, check around elsewhere to see if they are available for less. If you are right-handed, the cheaper mounts will be more likely to work for you than if you are left-handed; they don't tend to center as well on the weapon. The key thing is that they are made in Eastern Europe to be mounted on the Eastern European rails on your rifle; they aren't Chinese-made Sovblock clones.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Even the Polish no better than to use a side mount

Still a logistics issue.

As for current russian optics... Yes, all the newest newest guns are using dog legged dust covers and rail mounted optics. Most common one I've seen actually issued is the Rakurs-PM. Side mounts don't work so well with folders. For marksman rifles like the SVD or PSL, a side mount is still going to be the more accurate alternative. Dog legged top rails will always have some issues, but just for a red dot, it's not going to be a problem.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom