• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I have a Bushnell banner series 6-18x50 scope and was wondering what the best mount would be for use on my yote AR that I buil. I have. 2 piece setup now it just seems a little questionable for the size of the scops. Is there any one piece mounts that you would recommend?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What's questionable about the two rings? Are they not holding properly?

I run both one piece and two piece (rings) on bolt guns from .308 - .50, both mounting methods do their jobs well.

I, for one, need a little more info so that I can offer my opinion.

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Well it just seems like the scope is too big for the two rings. Try are p series mounts for a Nikon P-223 scope. They fit perfect with the diameter of the 50 objective lens of the scope, so it's just clearing the rail of the gun. Here's a picture.

IMG_20160425_214439957.jpg

I have since moved the front ring as far forward as I can on the scope so now it is attached to the rail instead of the upper receiver. Will this work.

Also if anyone knows of a good cheek riser for that MOE rifle stock it would be much appreciated.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    1) You should never mount rings on two different planes. Since the upper is separate from the hand guard they will flex differently putting stress on the main tube of your scope.

2) the way your picture is set up is fine. While you have a long distance of tube body ahead of the forward scope ring it is perfectly acceptable.

The scope your using is not optimized for the AR platform in regards to looks, but as far as function and mounting the pic looks fine.
    I can tell by the pic you are at about 10 slots between rings which puts us at roughly 3.5 to 4" of space between them. A one piece base will bring your rear ring up closer by about half an inch but you will still only be able to mount a one piece as far forward as the end of the upper receiver which puts you in roughly the same set up you are in now.
    If it's function your after, your fine with the setup you have.
    If it's a look your after, then you need a scope with a shorter main tube.

And last time I checked the MOE Rifle stock had no one making a riser for it. Duct tape and an imagination my friend!

Last edited:

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Ok thanks for the info I'll change it back and I get home. I wasn't really worried about looks the mounts just didn't look like they would be sturdy enough with that much scope past the front mount. In regards to the stock I wasn't for sure if any of the slip on risers would work or not.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Aero Precision SPR mount

As for the cheek riser, about the only thing you have to consider is if the charging handle will clear it. If you have a friend with kydex and can bend it, you can do a modern version of the classic (ish) Colt cheek riser

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You ask for the best, so that would be SPUHR

I'm a firm believer in buying the best rings you can afford. I'm not a Nikon fan. Sorry, but I'm not a Bushnell Banner fan either. I've had enough of the WalMart stuff to last me 3 life times. I don't mean to be a snob but every time I made a purchase like this it was like lighting cigars with paper money.
    I've got a couple of old rifles that have never moved a click over the years. Hunting rifles that can take a beating at times. They have quality mounts and rings on them.
    That IS a lot of scope and it's possible it takes a bump occasionally.
    On the other hand.... IF It ain't broke... Don't fix it.
    I always weigh the relevant factors when purchasing anything.
    What is the main reason I'm purchasing it?
    Budget?
    What kind of service will it see? Lots of use or you mostly going to let it gather dust?
    Is it for show or go?
    Are you going to trade it off or sell it soon?
    Nothing worse than a nice rifle you can't hit **** with because it won't hold the point of aim every time.
    But... IF it's working for you then leave it alone.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for all the input, on this stuff guys. This is my hunting/long range gun, so it will get use in yote season. I'll check out some of those mounts mentioned, but I may just stick with p series but I also may just get the urge to buy gun parts and change it up lol.

About the stock I've been thinking about trying to make this work. I know it will ruin the storage part of the stock but I should still have room for a small bottle of oil and a bore snake.
    Still thinking about it, just an idea I had.
    https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Kydex-Cheek-Rest-Riser/dp/B00G9PN4G2

Top Bottom