• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    Mounting a new scope to my Ruger M77, and it is consistently aiming low, even with the scope dialed in all the way to the top. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    what rings and bases are you using. the reason i ask is on warne maxima rings you have to torque the bottoms down before even starting to tighten the tops. if you dont it will cause a low poi.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Something is amiss. I'd strip it down reverse the rings (front to the back/ back to the front), Measure to make sure the rings are the same height. Make sure the base is completely tightened down. Firmly attach rings to base, then scope to rings. If nothing is found out through that process and shooting again, then your scope is defective. Good luck!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    How high is high, and at what range? The scope will be a bit high at short range due to offset above the centerline of the bore.

NC star is on the bottom of the range for price and therefore aren't going to be as precise as a more reputable brand.

Try two things:

1) Swap the order of the rings to see if one might be taller than the other. See if POI changes.

2) Manually bore sight as best you can by looking through the barrel at the target while the rifle is on a firm rest, and see where the POA is from the scope.

If all else fails, are you sure you have a good scope? Sometimes scopes can have a reticle detach and no matter how much you adjust you won't get any changes.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Mounting a new scope to my Ruger M77, and it is consistently aiming low, even with the scope dialed in all the way to the top. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

NcStar Ring Mounts. The guy who sold me the scope sold these to me as well.

Welcome to NcSTAR

and there is you answer. the salesman convinced you that you were buying a product that would work and tricked you into buying junk. ncstar is the worst of the worst junk brands

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If you have front/rear reversed on an M77 your scope won't nest into the rings, so I wouldn't swap them around.

You shoot, crank the elevation dial a fews clicks, shoot again...does the bullet move up the appropriate distance?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    For me, I zero with the bolt out and the gun stabilized at 25 yards. From there you should be able to do the precise adjustments.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If the scope is the same quality as those rings, I'm not a bit surprised. NC Star is as crappy as it gets. The factory Ruger rings are rather good rings, especially for the price.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I found out the hard way that quality does make a difference on scope rings.You might want to listen to these folks I wish I did last week.WASTING MONEY STINKS

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    The Ruger M77 with the integrated base uses 2 different sizes of rings. It will depend on the bell size of your scope, but for my 50mm scope, I use an extra large and a large ring. If you already have 2 different size rings, try switching them so that the one in front is now on the rear.

skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    The Ruger M77 with the integrated base uses 2 different sizes of rings. It will depend on the bell size of your scope, but for my 50mm scope, I use an extra large and a large ring. If you already have 2 different size rings, try switching them so that the one in front is now on the rear.

Thank you shootinghoosier - after researching a little more, I think you are correct (as is everyone else) - but the rings for the M77 are suppose to be a different height (as I found on Ruger website). I do have the original Ruger rings, but they didn't fit the scope - so the salesman sold me the "Ruger" equivalents from NcStar for my rifle. Wait till I see him at the next Indy1500!

Guess I am going to bite the bullet on the NcStar, perhaps mount it to something else (or give the salesman h*** for it) and look for a better quality scope.

Thank you for all your help!!!

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Thank you shootinghoosier - after researching a little more, I think you are correct (as is everyone else) - but the rings for the M77 are suppose to be a different height (as I found on Ruger website). I do have the original Ruger rings, but they didn't fit the scope - so the salesman sold me the "Ruger" equivalents from NcStar for my rifle. Wait till I see him at the next Indy1500!

Guess I am going to bite the bullet on the NcStar, perhaps mount it to something else (or give the salesman h*** for it) and look for a better quality scope.

Thank you for all your help!!!

I would highly recommend you go with Ruger rings and stay away from the others. The rifle comes with staggered 1" rings but it looks like you need staggered rings in 30mm diameter. Ruger sells them individually in different sizes, so you can get exactly what you need. Getting them directly from Ruger costs more, but you can call and tell them what kind of scope you have and they will give you the part numbers for the proper size rings. Then go online and find the best deal from their dealers. I think Leupold makes rings that fit the M77, but Leupold will be more expensive than Ruger. As for NcStar scopes, well...there are much better ones out there. Good glass is as important as the rifle, so bite the bullet and go for something better.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I agree with the masses hear. Keep the ruger rings and get a scope that works with them. You will thank yourself down the road for it. As mentioned the Nikon is hard to beat for the price. Bushnell banners are also good. Best of luck

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    "Good glass is as important as the rifle, so bite the bullet and go for something better."
    I would say the glass is more important. The old saying is that a $100.00 scope will not make a $1,000.00 rifle shoot better, but a $1,000.00 scope will make a $100.00 rifle shoot better.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom