• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    What do some of my fellow turkey hunters use for optics (if any) do you use on your turkey shotguns? My dad thought he would like a red dot but I saw a short, fixed shotgun scope that caught my eye in the shop today. The only concern I have on the red dot is the batteries going dead during the hunt and possibly not holding up to the recoil. I do not have anyting on mine yet but if I do, I like the idea of the fixed scope. I think they will pick up light better than a red dot too.

I am gonna pick up one or the other for a christmas present but just wanted to see what some of my fellow ingoers use. Thanks all!

:ingo:

Edit: Picked up a red dot....I think he will like it. Easier on the older eyes...

Last edited:

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    I have used the Bushnell Trophy red dot. It has four settings small dot, large dot, dot in a circle and a cross. Also comes with an extended grey filtered lense. I have used the same battery for the past year and a half. It has 12 levels of brightness

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Most I know prefer the red dot. I took my friends advice and put a red dot on my turkey gun ( Mossy 500 20 guage). You don't need magnification for turkey as most shots are close range, under 40 yards.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Red dot works for me. Really nice as turkeys don't usually do what you plan on. Can shoot red dots from right shoulder or left if the bird comes in the other side, you can shoot from awkward positions, heck you don't even have to have gun on your shoulder. Put red dot on turkeys head and pull trigger.
    Been using same battery for several years. I only turn on when I have a bird coming in so I don't leave on all the time. Only had one bird surprise me with scope turned off and getting scope turned on was the easy part, getting gun up and pointed in the birds direction was the tough part.
    :twocents:

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Last edited:

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    For turkeys I'm not sure why you would need such a device on your shotgun. I guess it's just personal preference. I will stick to the good ol tried and tru open sights.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I use an Aimpoint micro because I tend to forget to turn them off.

Red dots and holo sights offer the ability to get sights on a target without having align multiple planes, which as advantage if a guy ever has to contort himself.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    For turkeys I'm not sure why you would need such a device on your shotgun. I guess it's just personal preference. I will stick to the good ol tried and tru open sights.
    Same here! Oh man I can wait for turkey season, Turkeys are the only thing I care to hunt anymore.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Simple is best...Tru Glow type..like a red front and two greens at the back. This just makes the gun handy when crawling around and beating thru the bushes and it is pretty quick shooting at running or flushed birds.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    This year was my first year out turkey hunting and it went well. I picked up a mossberg 835 turkey gun and put a yukon optics (cheap) halo site on it and I wont change it. That thing worked great and held up very well. Its lite and easy to use, and it did its job. My friend and I went to Kentucky to hunt and we both tagged out. My first bird was a tom with a 10 and a half inch beard and inch and an eighth spurs. My second was a tom with an 11 and a half inch beard and inch and a half spurs. Now Im hooked.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Simple is best...Tru Glow type..like a red front and two greens at the back. This just makes the gun handy when crawling around and beating thru the bushes and it is pretty quick shooting at running or flushed birds.

I have Firesights on mine and even these 50+ yr. old eyes can see them well enough to take a bird at 41 yds.

Top Bottom