• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    First ever scope with parallax knob and am adjusting it for known distances. 50 yard known distance is in focus at scope setting of 35 yards? It's a Vortex 4-16x44. Admittedly may be doing something wrong here or not realizing it's a known idiosyncrasy.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    While I understand what the two previous posters are saying, the "parallax" adjustment on the many Vortex scopes and the other brands I have/had also adjusts the focus. I'm not even sure what the "traditional way" would be.

There is an additional adjustment ring on the eyepiece to focus the reticle.

To my eyes with my reticle focus setting the parallax/focusing knob markings are usually slightly off for focus but not anyways near 50 yards at a marked 35.

If you can focus from as close as the scope is supposed to, to infinity, it may not be a big deal. If not, it needs warranty service. You may want to warranty it anyway but I would talk to Vortex first.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First ever scope with parallax knob and am adjusting it for known distances. 50 yard known distance is in focus at scope setting of 35 yards? It's a Vortex 4-16x44. Admittedly may be doing something wrong here or not realizing it's a known idiosyncrasy.

Don't get hung up on the numbers on the dial. They are just guidelines.

The parallax dial reading varies with your ocular lens adjustment and variable magnification level. None of mine are "on" so to speak.

If you are really set on quick known range repeatability, paint marker dots make decent reference points.

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Do some quick Google research on scope parallax so you have a good understanding of what you are attempting to accomplish.

As already mentioned, pay no mind to the yardage numbers on the parallax knob.

A quick and dirty way to adjust parallax is to simply turn the knob until the target image is focused and clear. For a more precise adjustment, do this;

1) Turn the parallax knob until the target image becomes clear.

2) Without touching the rifle, look through the scope and get your target image in view

3) Move your head slightly side to side and up/down. If the reticle moves relative to the target, adjust the knob slightly one direction or another and try again.

4) Repeat until the reticle and target stay fixed relative to each other when you do move test. Once this occurs, you have removed parallax from the system.

I have two scopes where the image is not perfectly clear after setting the parallax to where the reticle and target stay fixed. Sometimes that bothers me and I just set the knob to where the target image is clear and call it close enough.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

The markings on scopes for parallax is very very approximate.
    If you want accurate ranging through a side focus, you need the big parallax focus wheel, and to manually label it yourself at all known distances.

It's not super accurate but it'll ballpark you.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The markings on scopes for parallax is very very approximate.
    If you want accurate ranging through a side focus, you need the big parallax focus wheel, and to manually label it yourself at all known distances.

It's not super accurate but it'll ballpark you.
    This. More people need to understand this.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Don't get hung up on the numbers on the dial. They are just guidelines.

The parallax dial reading varies with your ocular lens adjustment and variable magnification level. None of mine are "on" so to speak.

If you are really set on quick known range repeatability, paint marker dots make decent reference points.

Listen to this, and do it. Get the FINE Sharpee paint pens, use Den. alcohol and a swab to clean first, and apply small dots or dashes.

If you like clean lines, small pieces of painters tape can get you a clean line.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Focus should be handles by adjustable eye piece, set this up first.
    1. Point at white wall look through scope, close eyes quickly open eye and determine if reticle is blurry.
    2. Close eyes and adjust eye piece, open and see if better or worse than previously.
    3. Make appropriate adjustments until reticle is sharp.
    4. Tape this adjustment.
    Note: your eye can quickly adjust to focus the cross hairs, you need to open eyes and determine if glass lens have focused the crosshairs without the muscles of your eye being involved. This will also reduce eye fatigue if you are looking through the scope for a long time. Also, alignment of lenses matter so having the image not pass through the exact center of a lens on your glasses can screw up

Parallax is focusing the target image on the crosshair plane. If they are not on the same plane their will be movement as your head moves (impossible to shoulder rifle in exact same place every time). If cross hairs where properly focused as described above, this should occur when image is brought into focus. This can also be checked by slightly shifting head. When parallax is properly adjusted, the cross hairs should NOT move around on the target. Also, alignment of lenses matter so having the image not pass through the exact center of a lens on your glasses can screw up reticle/target alignment. For this reason I usually shoot without glasses and adjust the focus appropriately.

The markings on the knob are close but likely not accurate. Some NightForce scopes just have dots, no numbers. Also should be noted that the click value on knobs is probably not exactly what they say they are (even on a $6000 optic), your cross hairs might not be exactly true the the scope body, the horizontal and vertical parts of the reticle might not be exactly perpendicular to each other.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Took a good while testing it last evening in a rest and confirmed that I could get it to function from 20 yards to infinity. I only have access to marked distance targets out to 150 yards, however.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom