• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    I'm in the market for a new scope for my deer gun (12ga Remington 870 express shurshot). I have some reasonable preferences but what do you use and how well do you like it? Pros/cons? Thanks for your input.

My Preferences:
    -3-9x40
    -traditional "+" reticle
    -NO BDC
    -works well in low light situations
    -fog resistant & ect.
    -around $150 for price range +/-

Last edited:

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I would personally skip the 3x9 part and try to find a used Leupold 4x.The great thing about the Leupold,especially on a 12 ga,is the extra eye relief they have over many others.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I second the 4x over the 3x9. 4x is plenty for a slug gun. I have a simmons on my shotgun and one my muzzle loader, both work great.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've got a Leupold 2-7x shotgun scope on my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. I couldn't use anything better.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like a 1 or 1.5x on the low end of a variable for movers.
    2-7X a fair compromise.
    Have used 4X but shoot both eyes open.
    Have even run 3-9X.
    1.5X or close to it, makes movers much easier up close.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have both Bushnell Banners 1.75-4 black powder scope on one 870 and a simmons pro diamond turkey scope on the other. In the woods I like the lower power as well as the extra eye relief each has. Bushnell has around 6 inches. I only had a 80 budget when I bought mine. If I had 150 I would look at the Nikon scopes. They are really clear.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I think it would depend on if you are using a rifled or smooth bore barrel. If its rifled you can take a lot farther of a shot than a smooth bore

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think it would depend on if you are using a rifled or smooth bore barrel. If its rifled you can take a lot farther of a shot than a smooth bore

Exactly, we dont have enough info to make a proper recommendation of what the op actually needs. All we have to go on is his preference's. Im always getting people who complain that I only recommend 1 brand (not true, but I do only recommend about 3 or 4 brands) but MR Hookeye is the only one thus far who hasn't recommended a brand, and your the first to try and find out what the op does with his deer gun.

A fixed power scope is never as versatile as a variable, and with hunting versatility is never a bad thing, and its a free thing in today's market. When I did hunt with a slug gun (fully rifled) I had dope out to 300 yds. I would not want to shoot 300yds with a fixed 4x scope.

Last edited:

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    With todays sabot slugs and fully rifled barrels you could make shots out to 200 yards so you would want a scope for that, but if you're using a smoothbore barrel and rifled slugs your range is 100 yards and less. If you can give more info on the setup you plan to use I could give you a better answer

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I know for me i have a 870 wingmaster smoothbore with an old Simmon 4x pro diamond sighted at 50yards. And my Banner is on my mossberg 500. Cantilever rifled barrel sighted at 75yards. 4 power is enough like everyone has said. But with my 500 i have an adjustable because of the lack of a bead. My wingmaster i can still bead a target if need be and i've had to many times do to the 4power being a pain in the butt to get a shot at close range. Like rkesar said it depends on the setup, Also depends on where you hunt. (field, brush, heavy growth, mature woods, young woods etc.)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Higher mag might make study of the target a bit easier, to determine if it's indeed the deer you wish to take.
    But landing shots on target doesn't require much magnification.
    Slug gun deer hunting.............could be open field stuff out to 200 or so, or working drives with things fast and dang near at spitting distance.
    In that range of hunting scenerios, a 1-5X should be fine.
    2-7X doable as well.
    Hell, I've shot deer well past 100 with no dang scope.
    Proper stock fit, a good trigger, and a low power variable.....................helps when you screw up and have the scope max'd and the deer busts out close.
    Sooner or later it'll happen. Just hope it isn't a bruiser and you're packin a 3-9X or more.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've hammered moving deer with low end variables at 1 or 1.5X and made multiple good hits on them.
    Love doing that :)
    When I set up an old Ruger Auto .44 it'll have a 1-5X.
    Current rig wears a 2-7X and is a single shot. In the woods, it's at 2X.

In the past my Mossberg smoothbores shot well to 150 yards and I popped a few deer at that range.

Last edited:

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    With todays sabot slugs and fully rifled barrels you could make shots out to 200 yards so you would want a scope for that, but if you're using a smoothbore barrel and rifled slugs your range is 100 yards and less. If you can give more info on the setup you plan to use I could give you a better answer

This is my gun.

http://www.remington.com/en/product...70-express-shurshot-synthetic-cantilever.aspx

I shoot 2 3/4" SST's and hunt from a climber style tree stand. Last year I shot my buck at about 70 yards but have the ability to take longer and obviouisly closer shots.

Last edited:

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    If you want a nice 3-9x40mm matte scope look at the Nikon Omega I have listed in the classifies. Constant 5" eye relief. New in sealed box,not refurbished. Lifetime Nikon warranty.

Top Bottom