• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • showmeapair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Noblesville/Brown Co
    My old eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be so I'm going to put some sort of artificial sighting mechanism on my new SW mp15. Seems the sights on it are a bit blurry;). Anybody got a good suggestion? I'm probably going to be shooting squirrels in the ears at about 50 yards and don't want the grandson to embarrass me too bad.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Go with a red dot.

Go Aimpoint Micro if your budget allows, or Primary Arms Micro if it doesn't. Or a Vortex SPARC in the middle of the price range.

showmeapair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Noblesville/Brown Co
    Wow. That's quite a range of prices. I guess I need some education on what makes one better than another. I was looking at some Tru glo products at Dick's the other night. Know anything about them? I like the Tru glo sight beads for shotguns.

BTW, Thanks for moving to the appropriate forum. Doh...

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Optics are like toilet paper, don't buy the cheap stuff. I would stay away from TruGlo, Barska, Sightmark, Tasco, BSA, Simmons, NC Star, etc... I've learned that lesson the hard way from buying cheapo stuff, and replacing it with more cheap stuff. Primary Arms is a good example of a quality optic on the cheap. Aimpoints are awesome and well worth the money if your rifle is going to be seeing hard use.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Wow. That's quite a range of prices. I guess I need some education on what makes one better than another.

To keep things simple, basically look at it as a metric for how "tough" they are.

For your needs as you've explained I think the Primary Arms would be a good inexpensive choice. I've not heard great things about TruGlo optics.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    What about a barska red dot for 10/22 to help my daughter with learning to shoot. She is 9 I have not taken her out since I put it on but I would think sometimes even cheap can work depending on what you are doing with it and how much use it will actually see. You get what you pay for I know but sometimes it is all you need. For that use do you agree? If not I would like to know why as I am interested in learning. I have always used iron sights and do not know enough about optics to know what is good and what is not. I would like to know more.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What about a barska red dot for 10/22 to help my daughter with learning to shoot.

Matching the optic to the "mission" is smart. In your case, mounting a cheapy red dot onto a .22 to teach a youngster to shoot is a great idea. Just don't be too sad if it won't hold zero long or if it somehow breaks after a season.

In the OP's case, with it being mounted on an AR-15, he'll want something built a bit better.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My experience with Barska optics is they don't hold zero. And if the point of impact shifts, the rifle is useless. The binoculars and scopes I've had from them turned milky in a rather short time frame. In my opinion and experience, if you can't afford decent optics, stick with your iron sights. And there is nothing wrong with that. My dad taught me to shoot with a single shot Remington 22 as a kid. I got to where I could hit a penny at 50 yards with it. Made me a stronger rifleman, and I know its a skill set I can fall back on if my optics fail.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I like truglo redots and have had good luck with them. I have one mounted on a 25-06 encore pistol that thing has taken a beating and still holds a zero. However Aimpoints are cream of the crop.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Thanks for the input. I agree iron is good to learn with but i am fighting the fact she is right handed but left eye dominate she then tries to compenate and i am in turn fighting a bad grip on the rifle.

firefighter7164

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Red dot

I use an off brand red dot on my shot gun to hunt w and have it set for 150 yards and it works amazing. Any further than that and I would use a scope to ensure better accuracy due to bullet drop depending on weapon of choice

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't care for red dots myself. Only one I have tried is Vortex, would not recommend them. Mine would not hold zero and a friend of mine had one, same thing with his. Just my experence.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My old eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be so I'm going to put some sort of artificial sighting mechanism on my new SW mp15. Seems the sights on it are a bit blurry;). Anybody got a good suggestion? I'm probably going to be shooting squirrels in the ears at about 50 yards and don't want the grandson to embarrass me too bad.

I vote "scope" for what you want to do. This one is a little more than you want to spend, but there are others that are less expensive... link to pics of view through scope: AR-15 And M-16 Show And Tell - Page 193 - INGunOwners

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    42769vette didn't see your question until now, I did not send the red dot back, reason, also have a vortex scope that would not adjust windage or elevation out of the box. Did send it back, they sent me a new one. Know a shooter that had to go through 3 before he finally got one that worked. My thinking is that a lifetime warrenty isn't worth much if it ruins a hunt. I have no trust in the product so I junked the red dot.Tried the product but will go back to the companies I trust.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    42769vette didn't see your question until now, I did not send the red dot back, reason, also have a vortex scope that would not adjust windage or elevation out of the box. Did send it back, they sent me a new one. Know a shooter that had to go through 3 before he finally got one that worked. My thinking is that a lifetime warrenty isn't worth much if it ruins a hunt. I have no trust in the product so I junked the red dot.Tried the product but will go back to the companies I trust.

understood, sorry you had a bad experiance. i can absolutly without a shadow of a doubt promise you that your experiance is not the norm. ive sold hundreds of vortex scopes and can count on 1 hand the number that went back. i know this because

for my customers i do warrenty swap outs out of my inventory.

im guessing the shooter you knew was dealing with the crossfire 1 line. the crossfire 1 line. it was replaced about 6 months ago with the crossfire 2 line.

depending on what you mean by "junk the scope" send it back now and see what happend

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I'm going to go against the current and advise you to check out some variable low power scopes (i.e. 1-4x). I recently bought a Vortex PST 1-4 and love it. On 1x the large, illuminated reticle can be used with both eyes open and on 4x you've got more precision that you'll get from any red dot (and without the big blurry dot via a magnifier). The price is about the same as a good quality red dot too.

Just my $0.02.

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    42769vette: I do hope they get their stuff together and put out a good product. Sounds like you run a good shop, hope you do well. As for as the Strikefire by junk it I mean I got rid of it. Have replaced it with a scope from another brand.

Top Bottom