• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Ok guys. Somebody please school me on scopes and make a reasonable recommendation under 250 bucks if possible.

My eyes are not what they used to be and I need to put a new scope on my old 700BDL 30-06 bolt action. Currently have an old cheapo Tasco that won't hold zero. I also Use a 30-30 and and M1 both with iron sights for having fun and keep my shotgun open sighted as well.

Not a big target shooter and small plate accuracy seems to kill things just fine. I hunt in various states on family and extended family land and farthest shot will likely be about 200 yards tops.

Lots of options out there and I don't want to over buy for something that only takes a couple deer a year and this year a hog (hopefully).

I will likely buy a good set of rings too if recommended.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I don't know how much schooling I can provide. I've posted this link before, and it's a bit dated, but a good place to start if you want to compare quality of scopes.

The Optics Talk Forums - SWFA Riflescope Rating Scale

I recently picked up a couple Bushnell scopes from Natchez, and think you could find something that's pretty good quality well under your price point. I think anything in the Elite 3200 or 4200 series would suit you well.

Natchez Shooters Supplies

I also got an email recently from SWFA with this scope on closeout. I have a couple Nikon scopes on my Encores and like them too. For what you are looking at doing with your rifle, I think this would do the trick, and hold zero.

Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff Riflescope

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    I don't know how much schooling I can provide. I've posted this link before, and it's a bit dated, but a good place to start if you want to compare quality of scopes.

The Optics Talk Forums - SWFA Riflescope Rating Scale

I recently picked up a couple Bushnell scopes from Natchez, and think you could find something that's pretty good quality well under your price point. I think anything in the Elite 3200 or 4200 series would suit you well.

Natchez Shooters Supplies

I also got an email recently from SWFA with this scope on closeout. I have a couple Nikon scopes on my Encores and like them too. For what you are looking at doing with your rifle, I think this would do the trick, and hold zero.

Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff Riflescope

I have the one listed above except with the BDC. Very clear, holds up well, lifetime warranty. Very good price.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    + 1 on natchez go to the refurbs, In general stay with Nikon, Burris, Redfield, and Luepold and you won't go wrong, I consider all others spotty on products

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I would keep an eye out on samplelist. I've got some really, really great deals from them in the past.

They're all demos etc and often times you can't even tell they've been out of the box, but the price is fantastic. I got some Nikon Monarch scopes on there a couple years ago for about half of what they are priced new (competitive pricing, not MSRP).

SWFA Riflescopes

savage 1212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I have a Bushnell 3-9 3200 Elite on my muzzleloader that is mounted with Burris Signature Zee rings that I have been very happy with. The Rainguard lens coating and Firefly crosshairs are a definite plus in an inclement weather and low light hunting scope. If you shop around it should be possible to find them close to your price range. I bought my scope 2 years ago at Cabela's when they were on sale for just under $200. I have taken 4 deer with it since then.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The Elite 3200 3-9x (w/o Firefly) can be had for $139 at Midway at the moment - that's where I'd go on a budget. I'm not a fan of the Firefly - takes up too much of the sight picture for me.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    On a $250 budget I'd keep an eye out for an Leupold 6x36 or 6x42 M8. You should be able to find one with enough left over for Talley LW mounts.

They change hands all the time on various web calssifieds.

Top Bottom