• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Trying to help a friend out, I am looking for opinions on a decent quality scope for a 12ga slug gun with out breaking the bank.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I just picked up a 2-7X36mm Bushnell Banner shotgun scope at Gander Mountain online. Free shipping. Cost me 70 bucks and works well. Also has the butler creek flip caps.

I would love to be able to buy a nikon or Leupold but these banners have worked well for me, This is my third. I have had zero issues with them and generally on the web everyone gives them good reviews.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Yea I saw these and wondered how well people liked them. that is in his price range

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I second the banner. It's held up to the abuse of slugs for 4 years on my Nova, holds zero, and is fairly clear glass. Get scope caps with it! I had mine fog/blur up pretty bad during a rain hunt last fall, scope caps would have fixed this problem I think.

Just don't get to carried away with power. Mine is a straight 4-power. For realistic deer ranges with a slug gun, you don't need a 12 power mega-zoomer. Those only hurt you when your tracking a walking deer in your scope or trying to find one in thick stuff.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Have had a cheap 4 power Bushnell on the Mossberg that has held its zero since 1989.....I'm getting low on slugs from back in the 80's...so plan on picking up some more Winchester this week an see if any differance with the new stuff.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Trying to help a friend out, I am looking for opinions on a decent quality scope for a 12ga slug gun with out breaking the bank.
    Is it a nice cantalever barrel mount, or aftermarket? I've had more problems with mounts than scopes.

Bushnell 1-4x, 4.5 inches of eye relief, $70 on gunbroker, if you break it, thye replace it.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    nikon prostaff,,my marlin 512 has a recoil like no other,i busted 3 scopes with that thing prostaff hass been flawless.it is just as clear as my leupold vx1 with about 60-70 bucks less

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    i think nikon makes a slugster (or somthing like that) that you might want to take a look at

Affirmative!! Since I moved back to Indiana, and shotgun hunting, I've pained with wrong choices for my shotguns. The NIKON Slugger is the best scope for the job, and in the realm of the scope world, it's not that expensive. With the internet, it's been pretty easy to find them. I've changed all my shotguns to NIKON and I'm very pleased. I even added the NIKON *ARDs to the fronts of the scopes to eliminate reflection.

* Anti Reflective Device [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-739-Anti-Reflective-Device/dp/B0029M1F2O"]Amazon.com: Nikon Anti Reflective Device: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

They do work.

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    Ditto on the Nikon, I have one on both SG and ML. But the Banner is a good scope and cheaper. Just make sure you get one that has 'FOR SHOTGUN" on it. Heavy recoil is like hitting a tree with a scope. If it's a Shotgun scope, you should be okay.

newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    i dont know if they still make them or not but i have a 4x32 simmons pro diamond and its been a good scope. at 75 yards the top tip and bottom tip of the diamond will be at the top of the shoulder and the bottom of the chest area. if i remember right at 45 yards it does the same for a turkey's head. i have had this scope for many years so im sure there are better ones out there by now oh and i bought this at wally world for around 60 bucks.

Top Bottom