• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I recently purchased my first AR15 and I'm trying to decide on what type of optic I want to put on i and need sone input and advice. It's a basic DPMS optic ready carbine model. Majority of my shooting will be 25-100 yards but I'd like to start progressively shooting out to about 400 yards which is the farthest I would have available.

I know that you get what you pay for but I'm looking to stay less than $150 budget as thus is a starter rifle that will be passed on to my oldest son in a year or two when I upgrade. Id like to have something with quick target acquisition for short range if possible in this setup as well as the ability to go out to long range. Am I dreaming or is this possible?

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Primary arms 1-4
    Burris 1-4
    Vortex 1-4

I would start looking at those. Figure out what features you want/need and then decide. I've heard pretty good reviews on all but remember there are sacrifices you make with budget optics.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'd start off with a Bushnell TRS25, with the sales going on should be found close to or less than $100 and they're a pretty decent little red dot.

If you end up not liking a red dot, you can use it on a pistol or another firearm pretty easy.

If you want an optic, that 1-4 CF2 would be hard to pass up but you're going to be spending $70+ on a decent to good mount. You can always get a 2 piece Nikon P series mount for $50 or less but I don't think they've shipped the 30mm yet and personally I'd rather have a 1 piece mount

A 2-7 CF2 with a BDC reticle might not be bad either, they're 1" tubes so a P series rings would work.

Or even a 2-7 CF2 rimfire scope would work too if you want something close range, they're 50 yard parallax but will take the recoil easy of a 5.56

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Under 100 yards I like a red dot. Past 100 yards I prefer a scope. Good thing is a 223 is not heavy recoil so about any scope you get in your price range would suffice. An additional idea is look for a lightly used scope from Leupold. Fits your price point and will be good quality. I have mounted several with the PERP mount by Burris and am satisfield.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    it really depends on your applications but either will do what you described. I ran my red dot on a 13 inch AR at the last atterbury appleseed and made consistent hits all the way to 400 yards no problem. at 400 yards though your 2 moa dot is 8 inches so it's definitely covering up a lot of your target.

A good true 1x-4 or 1-6 scope is pretty amazing tool. great for up close (Again only if a true 1x) still shoot both eyes open, quick acquisitions ect. makes identifing your targets a lot easier. but unfortunately your cheaper 1-4's aren't true 1x's. also a lot of your cheaper scopes don't adjust how they say.

If you want to go the 1-4 route definitely go with a well known brand like vortex ect. Get with ALAN FROM AA OPTICS. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TOP NOTCH AND HE KNOWS MORE about scopes THAN MOST FOLKS IN THE INDUSTRY. No joke.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I went the 3-9x40 route on both my 223 and 300 BLK. Bushnell has a rebate going on the Trophy XLT and Cabelas had it on sale to boot. Got it for 60 bucks! Also Redfield is a nice scope in your price range. Match it with Burris Tactical rings and you would have a solid setup that will do what you need it to do.

I cant use red dot sights they all look like a big red spider web to me. I can improvise if I have to. Scope for me is a lot more accurate and repeatable especially out at any distance.

Good luck and have fun!

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I had a Leupold 1-4 on my first AR and that was plenty of magnification, I just picked up another and ordered a Vortex Strikefire from PSA for $89 and am going to give that a go this coyote season. I guess what im saying is that a 1-4 should suit your needs just fine.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I would go with the 1-4 vortex for the money I doubt you will get a better one for the $. I have one ar with an aimpoint pro and the other has a burris xtr 1-4. I really like both but if I only had one ar with one optic I would pic the 1-4. The aimpoint is awesome too it just depends on what you want to do with it.

Top Bottom