SCOTUS - Gonzalez v. Google - Responsibility of Social Media?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    If social media chooses to moderate content, then they should be held responsible for content they miss that should have been moderated.
    if they choose to be completely open and unmoderated, then they should be allowed to continue in that direction without consequences or responsibility. They need to stand on a side and held to that choice Legally.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    But I have a feeling the choices may not be sliced along those lines. SM _wants_ government guardrails to avoid accountability. Legislatively, my understanding is if the platforms take on the government-delegated responsibility for censorship, it buys them protections (?). But I'm admittedly not well read-up on this.

In any case, I've determined I could care less. Effem. If the government wants to place its boot-heel on their neck, fine. They are of no use to free people anyway. It is a mistake to regard social media as being in the free speech business. They are in the government-protected money making business, and we have seen that any tasking which involves providing you with a free speech platform is purely incidental and secondary.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The phone company does not moderate content and bears no responsibility for how people use the phone.

But, the minute you moderate the content, your immunity from liability should go out the window.

Shouldn’t have both liability protection and the ability to moderate content (with impunity essentially).

As it is, these platforms are being used as .gov surrogates to control/censor speech.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'd think it worth fighting for their independence from government control, if they had the intention of providing a free speech platform for citizens. But there's no evidence social media intend to fulfill such a role, so there's simply nothing here to fight for.

A gatekeeper negotiating the conditions of their service.

Government-entangled business litigating the circumstances of its further entanglement.

Nothing to see or care about.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I'd think it worth fighting for their independence from government control, if they had the intention of providing a free speech platform for citizens. But there's no evidence social media intend to fulfill such a role, so there's simply nothing here to fight for.

A gatekeeper negotiating the conditions of their service.

Government-entangled business litigating the circumstances of its further entanglement.

Nothing to see or care about

Top Bottom