• ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Actual brief here:
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...259076_18-280bsacSenatorSheldonWhitehouse.pdf

As a (mostly former) practitioner - yeah, the rhetoric is really bad. In the Indiana Supreme Court, I've seen rhetoric like than that admonished in a footnote about civility.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) it masks pretty straightforward mootness arguments that every amicus on that side of the fence is making. So, assuming they can wade through the political posturing, it probably won't make a difference.

ETA:
    I did not know Sheldon Whitehouse is a lawyer. Apparently, he filed the amicus as "Counsel of Record" for himself.

First, there's an old saying, "An attorney who represents himself has a fool for a client." Case. Made.

Second, the court, and whatever jurisdictions in which he holds a license, can hold him responsible for the content of his filings. Not that they actually will, but they can.

I guess Gillibrand is just trying to get attention now. The other joiners are "expected."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Its a little bit ironic, though, right? A politician/lawyer files a SCOTUS amicus brief suggesting other amici have ulterior motives for hidden agendas. Totally non-self-aware that the political motives and agenda for the screed are similarly veiled.

Or obvious.

I SO hope Justice Thomas unleashes on him.

It'd be really cool to meet Thomas in real life and find out what his interests are....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Looks like oral argument is set for December. They'll have to figure out mootness first, but I think they already decided that.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    So...here is a question...I wonder if the Senators shot themselves (pun intended) with that brief. By attacking the court, rather than the case, I wonder if they might have moved a couple of votes to the majority for the purpose of protecting the institution. I could almost see a more narrow decision than we would like just because it would be 7-2 because the Senators made some people mad.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

It'd be really cool to meet Thomas in real life and find out what his interests are....

I read some years back that the likes to travel in an RV and fish when SCOTUS is not in session. Invite him to Indiana for a fishing trip!

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Has there been any discussion by our resident beagals from legal regarding how this case could affect current cases like the bump stock ban or possible pending legislation regarding AR's and mags?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Has there been any discussion by our resident beagals from legal regarding how this case could affect current cases like the bump stock ban or possible pending legislation regarding AR's and mags?

Those particular tea leaves are particularly inscrutable.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis

Despite the court's statement that it will proceed, mootness is still a real concern. Cases can still proceed when moot, but under limited circumstances. I think the argument can be made that New York's conduct was capable of repitition (there or elsewhere).

Here's a good primer on mootness:

https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/RS22599.html#_Toc230583185

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My tea leaves suggest that mootness will be quickly dismissed at oral argument, and get a few paragraphs in the opinion, but that's about it.

What's more, even if SCOTUS indulges the mootness, they can still provide direction to lower courts on how to deal with both the substantive issue and the mootness issue.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My tea leaves suggest that mootness will be quickly dismissed at oral argument, and get a few paragraphs in the opinion, but that's about it.

What's more, even if SCOTUS indulges the mootness, they can still provide direction to lower courts on how to deal with both the substantive issue and the mootness issue.
    A few paragraphs from the Liberal justices?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A few paragraphs from the Liberal justices?

Oh, in dissent doesn't really matter. :)

I'm not sure who the lead opinion author will be, but the mootness probably won't be a big deal.

If the (inevitable) dissent wants to make a big deal out of it, so be it. And honestly, I'm not sure they will. It doesn't take that many words to say, "Hey, you got the result you wanted, why are you wasting our time?" :)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Oh, in dissent doesn't really matter. :)

I'm not sure who the lead opinion author will be, but the mootness probably won't be a big deal.

If the (inevitable) dissent wants to make a big deal out of it, so be it. And honestly, I'm not sure they will. It doesn't take that many words to say, "Hey, you got the result you wanted, why are you wasting our time?" :)
    Like that usually stops them.

Top Bottom