SCOTUS strongly rebukes Indiana forfeiture.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If you are at the Board of Directors meeting this Saturday at Oaken Barrel Brewing Co., I will buy you a civil asset forfeiture beer. I will seize the money from rhino and then buy you a beer.:D
    Sounds good!! My only question is, “Is Civil Asset Forfeiture an ale or a lager??”

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sounds good!! My only question is, “Is Civil Asset Forfeiture an ale or a lager??”

I think its an amber. It looks tempting, but is ultimately soulless, drains your bank account, and leaves you wondering what the heck you were thinking.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    It just seems odd to think of him advocating some sort of anti-anti-constitutionalist program. That is, I see him more as standing up for the constitution, period.

Correct, anti-anti-constitutionalist would by definition be a constitutionalist.

Rhetorically, there is a movement among progressives to use historic and contextual arguments about the constitution to promote their own political agenda, but I think that's perfectly legitimate.

and that would be my definition of judicial activism which I do not find legit.

The constitution (and almost all the amendments) was an exercise in progressive governing in its time. It departed from the traditional forms of government, so there will be part of that legacy that remains.

There was a great PBS documentary I watched a couple years ago on Prohibition and what led up to it, and I saw a lot of parallels there with today's left. Also, one of my bug-a-boos is the 17th Am. I think we should go back to the state legislatures choosing their state's senator and not popular election and that could and should be done through an Article 5 Convention of States.

All sides should promote a greater understanding of the actual constitution, not the individual interpretation of what we think the constitution says. IMHO.

Agreed, but for one side, those 2 notions coincide while for the other side, the constitution is a "living breathing document".

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Also, one of my bug-a-boos is the 17th Am. I think we should go back to the state legislatures choosing their state's senator and not popular election ...

I was on that bandwagon back when it was just a bandcart. :D

Well, I'm ok with a state executive choosing the senator, too. A state-oriented process. The popular vote election of senators has worked great mischief over the years.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    I was on that bandwagon back when it was just a bandcart. :D

Well, I'm ok with a state executive choosing the senator, too. A state-oriented process. The popular vote election of senators has worked great mischief over the years.

My reason for it is because our system was modeled on the British Parliamentary system. In Britain they have an upper class house and lower class house. Well in America we didn't have upper and lower classes. So the founders saw that the state governments and those that administer them are that upper class equivalent.

Now the problem that gave rise to going to popular election was that some states would get dead locked on choosing their senator. Well the answer shouldn't have been a popular election for all but rather hold a special election (popular election) for only those states that were dead locked. That would've been a much more reasonable solution.

And I think if that had been done we wouldn't have seen the rise in the welfare state and entitlement mentality (along with probably a lot of things like gun control) that we now have because legislation that promoted such things would've had a much more difficult time passing through the Senate. Which I think was by design.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think its an amber. It looks tempting, but is ultimately soulless, drains your bank account, and leaves you wondering what the heck you were thinking.
    Taxman Brewing really needs to come out with this one.

PhxCollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2017
    Indiana
    So a non lawyer question - do you think the forfeiture would have been legal had it not exceeded the $10,000 maximum fine? Even though the fine was never levied?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So a non lawyer question - do you think the forfeiture would have been legal had it not exceeded the $10,000 maximum fine? Even though the fine was never levied?

Probably.

That would've made it a much tougher case for Timbs.

Top Bottom