SCOTUS will make big ruling on double jeopordy - Thomas & Ginsburg may agree!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    IMO it is pointless to try to parse this if we are going to use an originalist argument for half of it, and a status quo 200+ years later analysis for the rest of it.

Under an originalist analysis, the feds lack jurisdiction and authority over the VAST majority of the offenses we are talking about, including the one at bar in this case. If the Supremes are going to decide this on originalism, West Coast Hotel Co. v. Parrish get overruled and we are done way before we even get to any BoR questions.

Under a status quo today analysis, I think there is a pretty good argument that double jeopardy does apply here. Since the feds now wield a concurrent/dominant police power under the commerce clause and there is barely a vestige of state sovereignty left, acting like there isn't a applicable same elements/facts test to see if double Jeopardy applies ignores that those tests are used constantly for the very same analysis.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IMO it is pointless to try to parse this if we are going to use an originalist argument for half of it, and a status quo 200+ years later analysis for the rest of it.

Under an originalist analysis, the feds lack jurisdiction and authority over the VAST majority of the offenses we are talking about, including the one at bar in this case. If the Supremes are going to decide this on originalism, West Coast Hotel Co. v. Parrish get overruled and we are done way before we even get to any BoR questions.

Under a status quo today analysis, I think there is a pretty good argument that double jeopardy does apply here. Since the feds now wield a concurrent/dominant police power under the commerce clause and there is barely a vestige of state sovereignty left, acting like there isn't a applicable same elements/facts test to see if double Jeopardy applies ignores that those tests are used constantly for the very same analysis.

Ok. :)

My quibble was with the un-enumerated part. :)

If this is a quixotic charge at the over-breadth of the Administrative State, then I'll saddle up with ya'all.

The problem, though, is that if we succeed, I'm not sure we're going to like the result. ;)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Ok. :)

My quibble was with the un-enumerated part. :)

If this is a quixotic charge at the over-breadth of the Administrative State, then I'll saddle up with ya'all.

The problem, though, is that if we succeed, I'm not sure we're going to like the result. ;)
    Which enumerated power does the vast majority of federal law purport to rest on? (I'm not referring to admin.
    law.)

Where does the power to regulate rape, backyard gardening, growing livestock feed for your own livestock, basic "possession" come from?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Which enumerated power does the vast majority of federal law purport to rest on? (I'm not referring to admin.
    law.)

Where does the power to regulate rape, backyard gardening, growing livestock feed for your own livestock, basic "possession" come from?

(Is "rape" really a federal crime?)

Welcome to 1936. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It was! That’s apparently where the line sits.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Morrison

Ah right. I'd forgotten about that.

But... uh... doesn't that case illustrate why we as a society might be well-served by having a law enforcement entity beyond that which is "local"?

Of course, there's easily an argument that we have too many law enforcement entities in the US today. But that's a different problem, IMHO.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Innocent has nothing to do with guilty v not guilty. Verdicts do not establish fact IMO

that’s just nuts that they can do that
    The military can do a lot that most people maybe even service members arent aware of. They can also strip you of your retirement for certain conduct as a civilian if they want. It's really a lifetime commitment

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The military can do a lot that most people maybe even service members arent aware of. They can also strip you of your retirement for certain conduct as a civilian if they want. It's really a lifetime commitment

And after the civies release you from jail, the military gets to charge you under the UCMJ.

Top Bottom