• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    In keeping with the thread is anyone in the NWI area know of someone who takes scrap brass?

Hoosier Metals in Lowell. I just took in a bucket. Think I got 1.25/1.35 per pound. They only buy alloy metals.

I dump all primers in with brass. Nice to get paid for trash! Took the kids for ice cream.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Revisiting this. I've been cutting down 223 brass to make into 300 ACC. With all the trimming/shavings involved, I wonder at what point it's worth it to save these vs just sweeping or vacuuming them up to throw away?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I do a lot of brass, any culls/mangled I mash.
    Don't want some salvage dude putting dangerous brass back into the system.

There are three grades of yellow brass, most salvage yards will only have one or two.
    Bright & shiny is top end. Where I go it pays to run it through the cement mixer before going to sell.

A general scrap yard will pay less, if you ask around you can usually find a yard that deals with Non-ferrous scrap, and they will pay more.

I take everything, from .22 shorts to digging them out of the mud banks.
    Magnet separates the brass washed steel out, the rest get cleaned to see if there is anything interesting.
    A couple hours in the cement mixer with black sand and they are clean enough to sell for #1 scrap.
    I do the same thing with copper bullet jackets when I dig/screen the backstops, #1 copper is bright/shiny and sells for a reasonable amount.
    I tried smelting copper & brass, crap load of work and what are you going to do with bricks of brass & copper? Lead yes (I cast) brass/copper, no.
    Just as easy to sell as off fall once it's clean and no extra work smelting it.

I often sit on mine and wait for the price to go up, it usually jumps in late winter for some reason (I have no idea why).
    Makes a good foot stool until then... ;)

Seems like a lot of work.
    Do you work a full time job?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Revisiting this. I've been cutting down 223 brass to make into 300 ACC. With all the trimming/shavings involved, I wonder at what point it's worth it to save these vs just sweeping or vacuuming them up to throw away?

Depends on how you value your time.
    How much does it cost you to drive to scrap yard, wait in line etc.?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If it was good brass, I would sell it here or at a gun show. You'd get more for it that way

I ran it on here some. I move fast. If it doesn't sell in a few days I'll move it another way and move forward with life.

I typically don't do shows anymore since everything is cheaper on-line.

Figure I did ok either way. No real money in it.

Top Bottom