SCREW THE RED CROSS! No donations from me!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    One thing I had heard about them many years ago, Tom Gresham of GunTalk wanted to do a fundraiser for them. They told him no, they didn't want to be associated with any gun groups.
    Sounds like they shot themselves in the foot with that move.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've not read bad things about Wounded Warrior. Did you two have bad personal experience with them?

I do not.

My opinion is based upon the fact that when the money started rolling in, spending seemed to get out of hand. I am not saying that it never did good work. Maybe it did (although WWP distanced itself from shooting sports intentionally), but what they did that was good, in my opinion, was used to elicit more and more donations to the point where the [former] CEO became a key player in an organization dedicated to removing the stigma of high exec salaries at charities...and used WWP funds to support this organization.

The "Charity Defense Counsel"...the central aim of which seems to be the promotion of higher exec salaries and higher overhead as acceptable in the nonprofit sector:

Our goal is singular and bold: to change the way people think about changing the world. To let them know that low overhead is not the way the world gets changed. That poor executive compensation is not a strategic plan for ending hunger or poverty or curing disease....

So what's the connection between these 2 organizations?

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2016...-warrior-project-connection-follow-the-money/

Note the large jump in revenues between 2013 and 2014, from $11,189 to $175,273. What happened? Based on the 2014 Form 990 return for the Wounded Warrior Project, WWP gave a $150,000 grant to the Charity Defense Council sometime between October 1st, 2013, and September 30th, 2014. The purpose of the grant, according to WWP’s Form 990, was to support CDC’s mission “[t]o change the way people think about changing the world by responding to and rectifying inaccurate reporting on charities and proactively educate the media.” The $150,000 grant was statistically insignificant to WWP—0.029 percent of its $342 million in 2014 revenues—but it was a transformative 85.58 percent of CDC’s $175,273 revenues in 2014.

Now, Steven Nardizzi was fired by WWP. I hope the new management has a change in focus that returns to the charities' roots.

To be fair, as we all know, this is far from the only charity with these issues. Think October and all the pink you will see.

Here's the deal. I like it when people make money, but it bothers me more than a little when the charity seems to become a means for execs to make very good money more than the original purpose. When they are using people's understandable emotions about injured vets to raise the funds, I have less patience about exec compensation than if it were private sector money based upon producing a good or service. They are selling us sympathy and using it for their own profit. It is almost as if they are doing enough good at just a high enough percentage to keep the charity in front of people so they'll keep giving.

Charity branded clothing and products? Why? For 2 reasons I can think of- virtue signally for the people using the products and name recognition for the charity to keep the money taps open.

Again, I hope that WWP no longer reflects what it would appear were Nardizzi's values and returns to the values of the founders.

For more reading

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/404490-wounded-warriors-staff-party-down.html

Top executives out at Wounded Warrior Project - CNN

WWP cofounder says he warned board about salary issue | WJAX-TV

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's the deal. I like it when people make money, but it bothers me more than a little when the charity seems to become a means for execs to make very good money more than the original purpose. When they are using people's understandable emotions about injured vets to raise the funds, I have less patience about exec compensation than if it were private sector money based upon producing a good or service. They are selling us sympathy and using it for their own profit. It is almost as if they are doing enough good at just a high enough percentage to keep the charity in front of people so they'll keep giving.

Agree 100%! Thank you for the explanation, sir!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree too HM.

If you want to make a difference, take the helm of a charity. If you want to make big bucks, run a FOR PROFIT entity. You shouldn't expect to live the big life if you're running a NFP. Same for preachers like Osteen.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Top Bottom