• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I honestly think so. It may not be an obvious difference but he difference is there. Plus, the M&P will have a greater number of available aftermarket items over the SD series of pistol. I love my M&P autos and they are worth the cost.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I'm sure there are small differences but I would not feel uncomfortable carrying the sd ve. If you get a chance watch the video Hickok45 made on the gun. He seems to like the gun and it functioned fine for him and of course he shot it well.
    Probably the biggest difference will be the availability of parts and accessories. And for the price I ding think you can go wrong.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    yes, and it cost me $400 to learn that, I bought the cheaper 40 and was very disappointed, the trigger was very bad, I dont' really have anything to compare it to it was so bad, I only shot it about 200 rounds because it was such a chore to shoot. Now when the M&P came out I tried them out and I am soundly on the M&P bandwagon, and maybe I should complain way more about the M&P because it has cost me much more, in the way of a shield, 2 regular, and 1 pro, But I enjoy shooting them, and my son took one so He must like it also,

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Like others say, yes the M&P is worth every penny and is head and shoulders above the SD series. That being said if you don't have the coin you won't be wasting money on the SD series either. The differences between the two (as I see it) are the fact that the SD9/40ve is the value line, no frills, the trigger works a little different, and they lend themselves to massproduction a little better. You won't find much of any hand fitting on the SD, not that you really see any with the M&P either. The M&P in my opinion is better designed much more ergonomic. The accessories are far more available for the M&P but you can get and APEX trigger for the SD.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    M&P is a superior pistol for the reasons already stated above. I have a 9c and a Shield, love them both. Gonna pick up a FS at some point in the near future as well.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    The only M&P that I have fired is my dads M&P 15-22. I realized thats not a handgun, but for quality assurances it is a very nice shooting rifle and it is very accurate. We have never had any issues out of it. It is easy to disassemble and clean, it also seems to me that it was designed very well. If the entire M&P line is all designed with the same quality (assuming it is) in mind i would say the M&P is the way to go. I have heard and witnessed some horror stories about the sd40ve.. Trigger issues, poor manufacture quality. I disassembled one with a friend after his trigger completely quit functioning and we found a lot that we didnt like.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The little bit more money for an M&P is way worth it! Nothing wrong with the SD but it is marketed as more of an entry line personal defense handgun for probably a house gun for those folks thet won't shoot it every week or monthly IPSC maches.

I compare it to what Colt did a few years ago with their DA revolvers. They offered the MK 5 trooper which had the polished blue nice finnish. They also offered for a few years the Colt peacekeeper DA revolver. (I had one) The Peeacekeeper was basically the MK 5 but instead of oa blue nice finnish it was a utility parkerized working gun typ finnish. There were also "stories" That was due to some Union issues they were having at the time (not that S&W have any issues) My point is several manufacturers offer less refines models from time to time. Like a regular Rem 870 compaired to an 870 Express and so on ang so fourth.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Yes it is!!

The S&W is not of poor quality IMO just poor design. I almost bought one until a friend of mine did. The firearm in not comfy in your hand, the trigger could be the worst trigger I have felt.

Def get the M&P

rlett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I have the M&P in 9mm with a Veridian green laser. It is pretty nice and I love the changable grips.

JayBone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Lake County
    I too have the 9mm and love it, think my next gun will be the M&P 22. My 9 1/2 year old was even able to handle it after couple mags worth of instruction. He loves it now too. That's why I'm picking up the .22 next. I also own the M&P AR15, sweet rifle.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't think the APEX kit is necessary. I'm completely fine with how my M&P's function stock.

I agree with ^THIS^. I have bought 4 M&P's. 1 45 2 compact 9's (one for my daughter) and a full size 9mm. All of the triggers are great and break around 5 lbs. To each their own and I'm not knocking anyons personal choice but, with the folks that complain about having to have an Apex trigger I wonder if they got a bad N$P (maybe a heaveier one for say MASS compliant if they make such a monster) if they/we have become that picky anymore!

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    I love my M&Ps, SD series is still a good gun. M&P series is just more fine tuned and has more after market parts. Spend a little extra if you can get he M&P its worth it.

Top Bottom