• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I've seen a lot of posts and reviews that comment on the difficulty of loading 16 rounds into Smith and Wesson sd9 or sd9ve magazines.

Though I am new to gun ownership, and shooting in general, there are a few things that have jumped out at me in the reviews and suggested remedies.

1: it is possible. I have a desk job, and haven't needed to do daily manual labor for several years, but I can load the sixteenth round with minimal fuss, and no aid. Not saying it is easy, just possible.

2: the easiest solution seems to be the purchase of a speed loader. Just a little extra leverage should be sufficient to allow those who have difficulties to manage.

that being said, inserting a fully loaded magazine on a closed slide requires a bit of force, and makes racking the slide considerably more difficult than it should be. The web offers observation on this as well.

1st recommendation: cut down the magazine spring- NOT SOMETHING I SUGGEST. While my gun smithing experience is non-existent, this just seems like a BAD IDEA. I've worked with many other mechanical systems over the years, and this type of modification generally leads to some type of failure down the road. I suspect an eventual failure to feed here would be inevitable.

2nd recommendation: file down about 1/16th of an inch from the extensions on the bottom of the follower. This allows the spring to compress a bit more before the follower bottoms out against the bottom of the magazine. THIS SEEMS LIKE A PERFECTLY REASONABLE MODIFICATION. I don't see any way this modification could have a negative impact, but then again, I Am a self proclaimed noob here.

I would like to know what some of the more experienced gun owners and professionals have to say before I make any actual modifications.

Thanks in advance for your feedback-

Edit- just realized I posted this in the ammo thread when it should probably be in gear. any way to get it moved?

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A suggestion for loading your pistol for EDC (Every Day Carry).
    If you have a spare magazine, load 1 round in it, insert that mag and chamber the round. Then remove the empty mag and insert the fully loaded magazine.

For practice/range work, just insert the loaded mag with the slide open.

I wouldn't recommend doing ANY kind of modification to the magazine or pistol. If it needs to be done for whatever reason, take it to a skilled gunsmith.

Also, some proper training/firearm handling classes would be a great benefit to you. In most of these classes, you can learn proper techniques for slide manipulation which may cure the issue you are having.

Welcome to INGO!

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Thanks, Big Tanker.

I'm right there with you on the need for formal training. It is already part of the To Do list before I start EDC.

I am currently keeping it slide-back with a full magazine next to it in a quick access safe for home defense, so no issues there.
    my main concern with the slide drag is with 16+1 the heavy drag may cause a failure to feed after the first shot. I may just be paranoid, but I have yet to fire it from this condition as it's easier at the range to simply cock the slide, insert the magazine and roll.

I will make it a point to test fire from full load next time at the range.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Why not load 15 rds, rack the slide and top off the mag? 16 total in the gun, 1 in the breech. Or, live with 15 rds?
    My Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, all hold 15 rds, 1 round won't break the deal.
    Yes, I own a SD9VE, have the same issues. S&W says 16 rds on mag. I load 15 and holster up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    First take any spring. compress it to maximum, let it stay like that for a long period of time.
    Soon your will have a useless spring. That means trouble when you need it the most.
    Just ask anyone that was issued a M-16 during the Vietnam war. many of our fighting men lost their life. the mag spring broke because it was loaded to max.
    I load just pass halfway. I practice my reloading. I prefer to have several short loaded. Then one that malfunctions.
    Do you really think you would be in a situation where you will need every round, in every mag, even your first.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    First take any spring. compress it to maximum, let it stay like that for a long period of time.
    Soon your will have a useless spring. That means trouble when you need it the most.
    Just ask anyone that was issued a M-16 during the Vietnam war. many of our fighting men lost their life. the mag spring broke because it was loaded to max.
    I load just pass halfway. I practice my reloading. I prefer to have several short loaded. Then one that malfunctions.
    Do you really think you would be in a situation where you will need every round, in every mag, even your first.

:popcorn::popcorn: and :popcorn:

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    I can only get 16 (easily) in 1 of my 4 mags. The others are a pain, and when i do succeed it will either not load the first round when racked or not load the second round after being fired. So 14+1 is how i carry.

TheWiz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I can get 15 rounds in both of my magazines. They were a little tight when I first bought the gun but not much of an issues.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I want to preface this with the fact that I have no experience with modifying magazines and very little experience using them in general, but, from what I've read/been told, I would think modifying them in a way that would compress the spring further than intended would be bad. From what I've seen, magazine springs are tested to ensure they last by making sure they can only compress and decompress so far (thus making keeping them (un)loaded indifferent). I would think that filing or changing the follower to increase the compression of the spring would make it wear out faster. Just my uneducated two cents.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

Sorry but you are in error. I have heard the Vietnam story many times but I have also worked with springs for many years as an Engineer (over 39 years prior to my retirement. Springs do not deteriorate when loaded to their maximum design compression. They do deteriorate and weaken (after many thousands of cycles) during compression and extension. A good example of this is the automobile springs. If your theory was correct the cars and trucks in all the junk yards would be sitting on the ground. Obviously they are not. Over compressing each cycle beyond the design limits can cause premature failure. Leaving a properly designed magazine fully loaded WILL NOT cause spring failure or weakening. There have been examples of WW2 1911 magazines found in fully loaded condition over 50 years later, when tested they functioned perfectly and the spring force was perfectly in the original specification.

By the way I always load all my mags to full capacity and store them that way. I have been shooting for over 60 years and know some of my mags have been stored for some years ~ I have NEVER had a failure or mis-feed due to the spring or magazine failure. My EDC is loaded to the max as is my bedside 45. I have absolutely no worries about failures.

As to the op's question, cutting some of the magazine spring off would not cause spring failure, but it would reduce the extended spring force and could cause feeding issues such as failing to force the cartridge against the magazine feed lips therefore the bolt could fail to pick up the cartridge.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    As to the op's question, cutting some of the magazine spring off would not cause spring failure, but it would reduce the extended spring force and could cause feeding issues such as failing to force the cartridge against the magazine feed lips therefore the bolt could fail to pick up the cartridge.

This was my thought as well. No point in shortening the spring to cram in an extra round if the last round won't feed due to reduced force. This is why I was leaning towards the second option of shortening the follower. Mechanically, I don't see how this would have any effect on the operation of the magazine. The extra travel allowed would just reduce the drag on the slide with a fully loaded magazine. I'm still researching this to see if I can find anyone who has had issues with this type of modification.

Top Bottom