• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I am starting to research my next 1911 and could use some help. I have read from an article from Massad Ayoob that colt, para, kimber, and springfield have better safeties and will not fire if droped or hit hard. I am looking for a 1911 45ap shorter that 5 inches with night sights, right and left safety, and $1000 or less but of course I want the best my 1000 will buy. I currently carry a glock 30 and a taurus 85 ultralight. The 1911 38 super I have is not ready for carry as I only have about 150 rounds thru it and it is very picky on ammo. I'm hoping to avoid the picky on ammo in my next 1911 buy.

Last edited:

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I'd go Kimber of the ones you mentioned.
    Guess thats because I'm a Kimber addict.

Realistically, all that Ayoob mentioned are good guns. I think best advice is to go and look and handle. Like trying on a new pair of shoes, it has to fit.
    If you know anyone who has any that Ayoob listed, that you can shoot would be a big + factor in your decision also.
    Good luck on your search.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Bleh...
    I wouldn't stress out over the firing pin block or additional Schwartz safeties.
    Any 1911 should have a strong enough firing pin spring that they will not fire if dropped.
    Normal distances, like out of your holster or while you're handling it.
    I think a 10 or 15 foot drop test is ludicrous.
    Many 1911 fans (me included) prefer the 1911's without extra safeties like the Series 70 Colts and pre Series II Kimbers.
    The Kimber Compact Aluminum Stainless I carry was made before the Series II pistols, which was one of the reasons I bought it.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Bleh...
    Many 1911 fans (me included) prefer the 1911's without extra safeties like the Series 70 Colts and pre Series II Kimbers.
    The Kimber Compact Aluminum Stainless I carry was made before the Series II pistols, which was one of the reasons I bought it.

Me as well, I was shopping around and happened upon a pre-series II Kimber Classic Custom and snatched it up.

IMO the extra safety is just something else that could break.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It takes one hell of a drop/toss to make a modern 1911 fail and fire. Some modern Kimbers don't even have the safety disconnect. But, I will admit, the Kimber disconnect it more simpilar than the Remington (which resembles a 46 and 69 series S&W with the blade design). If I remember right, a lot of the Springfields don't even have them. They're a modern safety feature that you really don't need unless you plan on dropping it from 15 feet plus or you're looking to chuck it at a couple cars.

depends who ask and on what model

Same way with Colt, Springfield, Para, Taurus, etc.

I like my Kimber, when it was new it never had a failure to feed, and it never stovepiped with 8 round mags (Chip McCormick mags). The only time I've ever had a jam is when I was using a cheap 15 round mag that looks very corny sticking out the bottom but it works for target practice.

With fixed sights and shooting at 33-35 yards or so, I can keep them in a group of about a 12-15 inches which I don't think is bad for fixed sights.

If you didn't go the Kimber rout, don't be hesitant about Springfields.

farva118

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I would really encourage you to take a look at the Sig Sauer line of 1911s. I currently carry the Carry Nitron model, which is the commander length. This gun shoots 100% reliable and is very accurate, even for a commander length.

The MSRP for them is around $899 or so. Now, it will come with Novak night sights, checkered front strap, and 100% USA built.

For $1,000 bucks, you can pretty much spec out the gun you want with the ambi-safety and maybe even a rail, if you really wanted to jump in feet first!

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    Ok I plan to add s&w and sig sauer to the window shopping list, but should night sights be a must or someting to add latter. I am thinking I want it out of the box with night sights.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I have had a Kimber TLE/RL II for several years now. It shoots good and has never had a functioning problem that wasnt fixed by putting different mag in the gun. If I had any complaints, it is that it was picky about what mags it likes. Kimber mags and Wilson 47Ds work well. Mine looks just like this.
    images

Last edited:
    Top Bottom