• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I was just given this tractor when I helped a friend move and he didn't want to take it with him. Its a sears, and he believes its from the 60's. I don't think its the original motor. We are speculating a 25ish horse USA made kohler. There are a few issues I would like to try and fix with the tractor.

First, the gears grind all the time. In order to get it into gear I have to idle it down, place the transmission into neutral, force the gear I want, then select high or low. This is apparently the way its always been for my friend. Not a huge deal, except I will be using this almost exclusively to blow snow and would prefer to not have all the extra steps, and wear and tear going from forward to reverse. I believe there might be a few causes for this. If its not the original motor then the pully on the side might be a bit higher preventing the belt from being able to be pushed off the pully. Also when you push the pedal in to release tension on the belt, it also engages the transmission/tractor break. I believe this to be either out of adjustment, or the "brake band" is old and worn down. Also the parking brake hooks up to this system as well and it appears that someone tossed a bunch of washers in there to make a field expedient adjustment, that doesn't do squat. Right now the adjustments for all this are pretty well froze up so I have not been able to play with it to see if I can make it better or worse. If it helps the tractor stops MUCH easier going forward than it does going in reverse. So with the belt not being fully pushed off the drive pully, and the brake not having enough arse to stop the belt I believe the transmission is just continuing to spin which is causing the issue going into gear.

Second, I don't quite understand everything that's going on with this electricly. The lights have long been disconnected. the neutral safety switch has been disabled. there is what I believe to be a voltage regulator with heat sink that has some major corrosion and probably needs to be replaced. Attached to that are a few cords, two hot and a ground, that I believe the two hots are connected to a residential extension cord, then reconnected to some wires coming from inside of the motor. one of the connections as you will see in the photos is a small black jumper, hooked up to a red that has corroded off the connection to the heat sink. The tractor still starts and runs (when jumped (checking the batter today) so I am not sure what that whole thing is actually for. that little wire accidentily touched a ground, and the white wire that goes to a fuse, then to the battery I belive shorted itself out (as you can see from the burn marks) before the short could even blow the fuse.

At some point the ignition must have failed because you only use the key to turn the power on to the fuel pump, then a switch was added to engage the starter.(probably at the same time the neutral safety switch was disabled.
    I would be more than happy to try and explain any of the pictures. but I for sure would like to rewire the whole thing, and figure out the transmission issue. As it stands now it runs great and starts easy, but if I can figure out these couple of issues I would be inclined to completely rewire the whole thing, replace the broken cowling, remount the underseat gas tank, and clean the whole thing up and repaint bringing her pretty close two like new again.
    I have been told that the "new" engine only has about 5 hours on it, but the whole thing has been sitting in a yard since at least march of 13, but again, she starts and runs great (don't know if she self charges yet) and the snow blower appears to be pretty strong. Not pictured is the front blade that came with it also, and a single row planter.

OnGuard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    NWI
    That's a Sears Suburban.

Looks like the serial number and model number tag is still on it in front of the seat and behind the shift lever. If so and you can read the 917.xxxxx model number you can look up what year and model it is at this website. newsuburban

This would be a good forum for help on sorting it out. Craftsman/Sears Forum - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Those old Sears Suburbans have a following. The front cowling will probably be hard to find and expensive. You can find a lot of parts on Ebay for these Suburbans.

OnGuard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    NWI
    I might be wrong but I think that Suburan is the brand name for that line of tractors and the sub models are like the ss/18, ss/16, st/16, st/12, st/10, and st/8. I have an 1976 ss/16.

The drive belt on yours looks like it is just a regular automotive belt. It needs to be a belt rated for clutching applications which are usually green in color like the one on your snow blower drive. Other wise it won't slip enough even when released.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The drive belt on yours looks like it is just a regular automotive belt. It needs to be a belt rated for clutching applications which are usually green in color like the one on your snow blower drive. Other wise it won't slip enough even when released.

Good to know. Might be something worth trying.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I might be wrong but I think that Suburan is the brand name for that line of tractors and the sub models are like the ss/18, ss/16, st/16, st/12, st/10, and st/8. I have an 1976 ss/16.

If I do change that belt to a clutch rated belt, I will probably have to buy several. Its not the original motor, but the original had a 3 inch or so drive pully, and the current one is about 6 inch's. I am considering swapping the drive pully back to a 2.5 or 3 inch pully which will lower the highth down enough that the clutch pully should be able to push the new drive belt off the pully. But by doing that it wont be a direct belt replacement which means I will have to have several on hand.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    How fast is it with that big of a pulley jump? I would think that your drive ratio would be way too numerically low with that big of a drive pulley jump; ie fast but low on torque.

As to which belt you need, if you go to a factory size pulley, you should be able use the factory part #. (Assuming same make/alignment of engine)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    How fast is it with that big of a pulley jump? I would think that your drive ratio would be way too numerically low with that big of a drive pulley jump; ie fast but low on torque.

As to which belt you need, if you go to a factory size pulley, you should be able use the factory part #. (Assuming same make/alignment of engine)

Its not the original motor, so I cant go off part numbers for the belt.

You should be able to find the correct owners manual with parts and wiring diagrams using the 917.xxxxx model number here. A FREE Source for Roper / Sears Tractor & Attachment Manuals

917.25752 an ss16.... my friend found the owners manual!!! I think I have gathered enough information that I am almost willing to do a hillbilly restoration on this thing.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The old girl is looking pretty rough but she should come around given a little time and work.
    That does look to be a Kohler engine. Kohler isn't supporting several of the older engines very well these days but there are a lot of parts for them out there.
    Cub Cadet (and other) pulling tractors are a big thing many places, and there are several places to get engine parts.
    If it's not already fried, try to save that "voltage regulator". They don't exactly grow on trees anymore, and are high dollar if you find one.
    Same for the starter, which is likely also the generator.
    Fuel pumps and pump rebuild kits are hard to come by. Hence the electric pump.
    You can get friction material and rivets from McMaster-Carr to reline those brakes.
    The linkage issues you will have to work out the best you can.
    It looks like you're going to need some PB Blaster too.
    It'll look better when you get the wiring replaced, and a few other things fixed up.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I prefer kroil over PB blaster, it doesn't catch on fire as easy and is less messier.

Just a starter, this has an alternator in it I believe.

I think I can get a rectifier/regulator replacement for around 30 bucks.... I lost that thread, but can probably find it again if I had to. and rewiring this thing will probably happen sooner than later.

I have read quite a bit on relining with material from McMaster, and plan on doing that.

One I have the serial number I will be replacing all of the seals in the axle, fixing the brake, and repainting all of that. This way if I ever decide to do a restore or at least get her looking good again I don't have to pull the tranny a second time.

At this point my two biggest concerns are finding the correct seals and parts based on what I have, and stuck bolts breaking off causing MUCH larger headaches.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    serial number plate as best I can get.... How do I tell a year?

Also, what information do I need from the transaxle to figure out what parts I need to order to replace all the seals? I at the bare min want to replace the axle seals since one is leaking and if I am going to pull it to fix the break I might as well take care of the leak, and if I am already in there I might as well clean it up and replace the other axle seal as well.

OnGuard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    NWI
    I see 917.25860 if so its a 1975 ST12.

This link will take you to the sears page that has the parts diagrams where you can order parts, not much in stock anymore but you at least can get the part numbers. CRAFTSMAN SEARS ST Parts | Model 91725860 | Sears PartsDirect

This site also has parts. Craftsman Lawn mower Parts, Craftsman riding mower and Craftsman push mower parts and Crafrsman Engine Parts

I don't see the specific manual for this model available anywhere so you will have to pick the closest model you can find here. A FREE Source for Roper / Sears Tractor & Attachment Manuals

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    must have been the computer I was on.... pictures showing up on the home computer.

anyways.... I have all the lights wired back in.... I have new transmission w/ solid bearings and oil seals in the shop. I have a seat ordered, a new muffler, and brake pad material.

I have replaced the clutch pulley with a new one that has good bearings as well as the flat idler pulley.

I have a repurposed gas tank that will fit under the seat... only holds about a gallon of fuel but that will be fine for my purposes.

I installed a new rectifier regulator and it appears to be charging again.

I have a few pieces of allthread connectors to weld together to fix a broken part, but everything is coming together nicely. Even have a new belt to try that is clutching operation rated.

Once parts start showing up I can get back to work and get this thing running again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom