• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Let's change up one of the quotes from the article and see how they (the anti's) would like it...

"[Seattle] has every right to tax products that are causing public safety/public health issues in its jurisdiction," said Ladd Everitt, spokesman for the Washington, D.C.-based Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. "The medical and legal costs associated with [STRIKE]gun violence[/STRIKE] alcohol are astronomical and I don’t see any foul play in asking [STRIKE]gun buyers[/STRIKE] drinkers to help bear some of these costs alongside taxpayers who choose not to [STRIKE]own guns[/STRIKE] drink."

Now I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they sell way more alcohol than guns in the city, and that alcohol-related deaths and medical issues probably top the numbers associated with gun-related violence. So if they're serious, they would really tax the crap out of alcohol sales. But they won't. That would make too much sense, and liberals can't be accused of having any sense.
    I'm confused. There is a tax specifically on alcohol, both Federal and State.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm confused. There is a tax specifically on alcohol, both Federal and State.

Indeed there is, and there is also a federal tax on ammo, but I wonder about the rate as compared to price. 5 cents a round (over and above the current federal tax) on .22 (let's say it's normally 7 cents a round w/o the additional tax) would be a 71% tax. I doubt that the tax on alcohol is 71%. If it were, your $5 six-pack would cost $8.55. I know that the 5 cents is a flat rate, so it wouldn't come out to the same percentage on ammo that cost a dollar around, but my point is that it's clearly meant as a punitive tax on a constitutionally protected right, just like a poll tax.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    I live in Tacoma (for now, moving back to Indy July 1st) when heard about this I wasn't surprised, and the best part about the tax... is they only collect 25k. I don't know who bought ammo with in Seattle city limits. But considering how much money is that area, is some overpaid Compuer Coder.
    The next tax the great mayor of Seattle wants to do is 2% tax per ounce "Sweetened" drinks like coke and energy drinks to help low income families on eating better....but the kicker is they aren't taxing drinks from Starbucks which have more sugar than a can of Red Bull.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It is unacceptable for government to cause any hardship for law-abiding citizens to exercise a right, period. Certainly, causing a gunshop to pass on their increased cost of doing business to customers is a government caused hardship towards that right.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    And all of these fine working folks (and the people of Seattle) will be hurt just so some pencil neck will be able to say at
    his next cocktail party... "Oh yes I shut down those gun shops, I am so damn good" and the airheads around him will know he cares and is a good person..

INGO rules prohibit discussing the solution for this problem.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Recently in Seattle, I do believe, the Mayor there (a somewhat questionable term, I might add) proposed a "homeless" tax on taxpayers to rustle up upwards of 50 million dollars in order to address the "homeless person" issue there.

If I was a gainfully employed tax paying citizen, I would move out. Not to sound harsh, however, there is a way to not be a "homeless" person. Get a job, and keep it. Seattle, the home of Starbucks, is becoming the "snowflake" capital of the world.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    [FONT=&amp]Solyanik said his small business previously generated about $50,000 per year in city sales tax. With Precise Shooter's move out of the city, Seattle will lose those funds and collect nothing from the new tax, he said.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Cook County, Ill., implemented a similar tax on guns April 1, 2013. Beginning next month, the county, which includes Chicago, will impose a tax on ammunition as well.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The plaintiffs have filed Freedom of Information Act requests to determine how much revenue has been brought in by the tax, and the city has so far declined to turn over the information. The plaintiffs also believe the real numbers would show the tax has brought in far less than was projected, which would undermine the city’s claim that it was instituted to generate revenue for gun violence programs.

Play stupid games, LOSE all that REVENUE !!!!!
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Been a long time since I was there after being stationed at Ft. Lewis 88-92, but, there was one downtown store that was very old with basically camping and skiing gear everywhere and a big firearms section. I wonder if it's still there?

Outdoor Emporium, has been there for 40 years .....

Top Bottom