• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Does it seem funny to anyone else that the states have to ask permission to the federal government for secession?

No, the federal govt (ie the other 49 states) have invested in said state. The infra-structure alone would be staggering in terms of cost. Obviously if a state leaves the union, that structure would need to be taken back.

Given the amount of people the federal govt employees, as well as the services they provide, if a state was to leave the union, it would go bankrupt within 10 years, UNLESS they "nationalized" much of the Feds property within that state, which, of course, would not be looked upon kindly by the Feds.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Why would anything need given back to the Fed's? Do people in Indiana not pay federal taxes? I am pretty sure I see taxes come out of all of my paychecks. The property and infrastructure in Indiana belongs to Indiana.
    To say that we would be bankrupt in 10 years does not seem right either. Our economy is currently going better than the fed's. Stop welfare, lower tax rates, get new business, new business's hire employee's and pay more taxes to the state. If we did this and kept all current federal programs in place I could see it. That would defeat the whole purpose though wouldn't it?

Indiana has no port to speak of and would have to cross foreign land or airspace to export her products. That alone would render secession economically stupid on a monumental scale.

A state seceding is like a 12y/o kid saying he wants to leave the family.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Indiana has no port to speak of and would have to cross foreign land or airspace to export her products. That alone would render secession economically stupid on a monumental scale.

A state seceding is like a 12y/o kid saying he wants to leave the family.

Exactly like that.....

Provided you burn down the kid's cities and kill a few hundred thousand of his friends.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    But should it be unconstitutional? I don't think it should be, but I think it would be dumb at this time.

Should it be? to be honest, I don't know as i'm not that smart. Texas did try to secede once before and it was ruled on by the supreme court just after the civil war, creating legal precedence. I just try to deal with reality, which is hard because I'm extremely disappointed by the election results and the idea of seceding appeals to my emotions, but again, reality.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Rhode Island didn't like the way the Constitution turned out. They refused to sign. Blockades were put in place. It didn't take long for them to give up and sign.

It's never really been voluntary.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    funny-kids-pictures-pout-poutpoutpout.jpg

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yeah this has been popping up everywhere on the interwebthingy. Seems people are pretty unhappy with the way things are going governmental wise (imagine that!). So naturally what does someone want to do when things are not going their way....they want to quit and go do something else. Had that of been the First Continental Army's thought in the 1780's we would still be under British control. The only option as I see it, is to remove everyone from office...yes EVERYONE...remove corporate influence and campaign donations...remove a centralized banking system...and restart the system back to day 1 w/ term limits applied to all.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    So naturally what does someone want to do when things are not going their way....they want to quit and go do something else. Had that of been the First Continental Army's thought in the 1780's we would still be under British control.

...and if it HADN'T been the Massachusetts militia's thought in 1775, same back at you.

You might want to pick a different example. ;)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yeah this has been popping up everywhere on the interwebthingy. Seems people are pretty unhappy with the way things are going governmental wise (imagine that!). So naturally what does someone want to do when things are not going their way....they want to quit and go do something else. Had that of been the First Continental Army's thought in the 1780's we would still be under British control. The only option as I see it, is to remove everyone from office...yes EVERYONE...remove corporate influence and campaign donations...remove a centralized banking system...and restart the system back to day 1 w/ term limits applied to all.

Corporate influence: How do you remove it?

Campaign donations: only the rich will be elected?

None of that fixes the root problem: the voter.

Top Bottom