• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    I was wondering if you could help? I'm doing my second AR build, and you were very helpful with the first. This time I was thinking of doing a 300 blackout with an 18" barrel and fixed stock. What do I need to know as far as the buffer weight and gas system? Can I use the same as my first one it's 16" with mid length gas.
    And I've noticed that a lot of 300 blackouts tend to be SBR, why? Is there an advantage to a shorter barrel with the 300? I may get my tax stamp for this build.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The 300blk gains nothing past 9". That's why you see all the 300blk SBRs and pistols. I most certainly wouldn't do an 18" in 300blk. Very much diminishing returns. Unless you reload I wouldn't even mess with 300blk. 308 is cheaper. And carbine length gas system only for 300blk if you go 16"rifle setup.

Last edited:

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    As mentioned earlier, the 300 blk burns out at 9" inches. Really no big benefit in velocity afterwards. I built a 16" due to a good deal on a barrel. The only benefit possibly is the extra iron sight radius and rail space. I am currently waiting on my Nfa trust to be completed to put a sbr together.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had a 16" 300 back when the caliber started to get real popular. I didn't keep it long as to me it really didn't do anything more for than my 5.56 rifles did at a cheaper price to feed. Now with that said fast forward to today I have a suppressed form 1 300blk SBR that's a ton of fun! Moral of the story if you want it cause you want it, more power to ya, but anything over about a 9" barrel is not really what the caliber was developed for.

Top Bottom