• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gertz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Fremont, IN
    Hey I want to build a secret room or a hidden weapons cache. I can only find really expensive, or like rooms in a rich persons house. Anyone out there have their own secret rooms?

The stairs to my basement are in my bathroom. I thought of turning it into a closet but be able to access the basement through a hatch. This would be pretty easy to do I would think.

If you have one, pics would be awesome!

Gertz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Fremont, IN
    I have even thought of smaller scale stuff like a place to hide a single weapon, be almost impossible to be detected by others but easy and fast for myself...

At my grandpal's old house the stairs leading to the basement had a hidden space under the last step. Just had to pull up the loose carpet. He kept a large amount of cash and a handgun in it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can do a Google search for "hidden rooms" or "hidden compartments" and be overwhelmed with the information.

In general, your only limitation will be imagination.

Second to that would be your wallet.

Thirdly would be what to do with the contractor / laborer who installed it. heh.

-J-

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hi, I would like to discuss all my hidden rooms and weapons caches on an open forum on the internet. I will also post pictures up and maybe a google map. I think this is a great idea.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hi, I would like to discuss all my hidden rooms and weapons caches on an open forum on the internet. I will also post pictures up and maybe a google map. I think this is a great idea.

Knowing you... There'd be poop-covered punji sticks on spring-loaded tree branches just waiting behind the trap doors... :D

ETA: Oh - and should I ever inherit millions from my dad's Powerball winnings, I will have a home designed with "secret" rooms / passages. Just because.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The last thing in all the world I would do is discuss my numerous hidden rooms and compartments in my home on a public forum. What do I look like? A Democrat?

I will note that no compartment will remain hidden forever. This is just another issue to consider in one's security in layers scheme. While it's possible to have hidden rooms in a small house on a city lot, the bigger the hidden room in comparison to the size of the house, the easier it is to detect that there's a large volume of space which the house occupies but which doesn't seem to be accessible from the inside. OP mentioned a rich person's house. Rich people can afford large enough houses that they can lose entire rooms in them and be relatively secure in the knowledge that the hidden volume will remain hidden.

Underground rooms out in the yard, i.e. bomb/tornado shelters, are easy to discover with a thermograph an a day-night heating cycle. Hidden compartments stocked with metal food cans, firearms, and/or ammunition are relatively easy to detect with metal detectors/back-scatter X-Ray.

The best way to hide things are in plain sight.

Gertz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Fremont, IN
    The last thing in all the world I would do is discuss my numerous hidden rooms and compartments in my home on a public forum. What do I look like? A Democrat?

I will note that no compartment will remain hidden forever. This is just another issue to consider in one's security in layers scheme. While it's possible to have hidden rooms in a small house on a city lot, the bigger the hidden room in comparison to the size of the house, the easier it is to detect that there's a large volume of space which the house occupies but which doesn't seem to be accessible from the inside. OP mentioned a rich person's house. Rich people can afford large enough houses that they can lose entire rooms in them and be relatively secure in the knowledge that the hidden volume will remain hidden.

Underground rooms out in the yard, i.e. bomb/tornado shelters, are easy to discover with a thermograph an a day-night heating cycle. Hidden compartments stocked with metal food cans, firearms, and/or ammunition are relatively easy to detect with metal detectors/back-scatter X-Ray.

The best way to hide things are in plain sight.

I never really thought of people using technology to find it, but your average day robber or intruder will most likely not be using those methods. I'm sure there are countermeasures available against thermal vision and metal detectors. Might just need some creative thinking.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    We have one in our cabin. We used to have alot of thefts, but the secret room, plus a few other security measures, have prevented any break in. Our friends dont even know the room is there unless we tell them.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The house we owned before this one had narrow passage ways from one room to the next in a couple places, and a hidden entrance to the basement. There was also a closet with a false panel that could be pushed out so you could enter the other closet it was backed up against (and exit through another bedroom). No hidden places to stash stuff, but definitely ways to get from one end of the house and back without anybody knowing.
    It was GREAT for flashlight tag and hide & seek.
    I miss that place!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is easy enough to do, hard to keep secret and silly to discuss in an open forum. Some one will know of it if they are paid to build it. Do the work your self, keep it simple and small so as not easily detected and above all, post pics.................:D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I do inherit millions...

There WILL be secret rooms, passages, and hidey holes in my house. Oh yes.

And this house will be surrounded by a moat filled with ill-tempered sea bass.

Top Bottom