• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We are thinking about getting a utility flat bed trailer here soon and wondering who makes the best locks or other devices to prevent theft of make a thief look for an easier target?

Edit: I watched a video on youtube that shows a guy going through different locks and some lasted a few minutes others only a few seconds. Anyone have any real experience?

I know if they really want it they will get it and we won't be keeping anything on it.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a small 5x8. I use a kryptonite job-site cable looped through the safety chain loop on the receiver. Then through the cargo (motorcycle) and then secured with a U-lock bicycle lock. Any lock can be defeated....

As for locking it up so someone won't/can't steal it. I keep mine garaged. If it's not garaged, it's the same cable locked to something immobile (tree, etc.).

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I secure my trailers with 3 locks each. 1 is a latch lock on the tongue. 2 is a tongue lock that covers the underside of the tongue. 3 is I run a cable between the 2 side rims and lock it. I am petrified about my stuff getting stolen. If someone wants it they are going to take it, the trick is to make it as hard as you can to discourage them. -Jason

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I secure my trailers with 3 locks each. 1 is a latch lock on the tongue. 2 is a tongue lock that covers the underside of the tongue. 3 is I run a cable between the 2 side rims and lock it. I am petrified about my stuff getting stolen. If someone wants it they are going to take it, the trick is to make it as hard as you can to discourage them. -Jason

If they can get the tongue lock off, the latch lock isn't an issue. However, having recently been the victim of a trailer theft, I cannot say I disagree with using all 3 of these. I will chain my next one to the pine tree with the largest chain I can find.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We are looking for something 5x10ish. Something slightly bigger then my truck's 8' bed but not huge.

I saw a video or a thread on another site (forget which now) where the person welded the nut on the bottom side of the coupler/tongue so you can't just unscrew it...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We are looking for something 5x10ish. Something slightly bigger then my truck's 8' bed but not huge.

I saw a video or a thread on another site (forget which now) where the person welded the nut on the bottom side of the coupler/tongue so you can't just unscrew it...

Standard is 5x8 or 6x12. Just go with the 6x12. You'll thank me later. ;)

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Standard is 5x8 or 6x12. Just go with the 6x12. You'll thank me later. ;)

exactly. Trailer is like a gunsafe or barn...always go bigger than needed.

as far as locks go, I've used them all. Locking pins, u shaped locking pins, different brands, etc and after sitting outside for a couple years, I've also had to cut them all off at one point or another. That's always happens at the worst time so keep bolt cutters in the truck at all times.

Chain thru the wheels and around the axle is my preferred method now.

Those tongue and receiver locks are for short term solutions. Not daily security.

Also....can I borrow it or will you help me movr? Ok....sorry....just wanted to be the first to ask haha!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We had a larger trailer for years. I wanted/want something smaller.

Sorry bocefus78, you aren't the first to ask! 2 friends and one family member have already asked... They know better then to ask about my truck!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have decided to just sit my trailers, trucks, snowplows etc out where anyone can have them. That way when they come to steal them( and they will) at least they wont f' up your gate/fence/security cameras.

Top Bottom