• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    “What we're trying to do is give first responders the situational awareness they need to react that much more quickly to a threat before a shot is even fired.

Because, they say, it is oddly common for shooters to pause and prepare with weapon in hand, sometimes for minutes before a single shot is fired.

It's what happened in Parkland, Florida, when Nikolas Cruz killed 17 students, and at the Washington Navy Yard, when Aaron Alexis was seen on security cameras carrying a shotgun before he murdered 12.

The former elite warriors wondered, what if the second that gun is presented, it could trigger an alarm. So they developed an artificial intelligence system that's sophisticated enough to recognize a weapon being carried, in just a couple of seconds.

As Rob Huberty, another former Navy Seal and company leader, explains, the AI system monitors thousands of security cameras at schools, offices, and military bases that have signed up for the service.”

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Fifty views, no replies. I'll go first. It's an interesting idea. But like all things that monitor the individual, it will eventually be abused. Just in schools? Maybe that's ok - assuming there's good guy with a gun to respond immediately to the threat. I don't want to be electronically surveilled while walking down the street. Neat technology though.

N9Zero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    Cass County
    Investing in infrastructure imho is crucial especially for schools and idk why some schools have forgotten what is in the constitution you'd think schools would have taken the proper measures knowing this and cutting crucial corners is counterintuitive.
    The schools here you have to get buzzed in and there is a cop on sight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Technology is always good, but the threat still needs to be confronted immediately to hopefully prevent the act in a short amount of time. I strongly feel there should be an armed security person in every school. Not a resource officer and the schools that have one will have an extra armed officer. There are enough retired officers and military personnel that would be willing to provide such security to protect our kids. The federal government should foot the bill. They can stop wasting billions on stupid BS and protect our kids.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    “What we're trying to do is give first responders the situational awareness they need to react that much more quickly to a threat before a shot is even fired.

Because, they say, it is oddly common for shooters to pause and prepare with weapon in hand, sometimes for minutes before a single shot is fired.

It's what happened in Parkland, Florida, when Nikolas Cruz killed 17 students, and at the Washington Navy Yard, when Aaron Alexis was seen on security cameras carrying a shotgun before he murdered 12.

The former elite warriors wondered, what if the second that gun is presented, it could trigger an alarm. So they developed an artificial intelligence system that's sophisticated enough to recognize a weapon being carried, in just a couple of seconds.

As Rob Huberty, another former Navy Seal and company leader, explains, the AI system monitors thousands of security cameras at schools, offices, and military bases that have signed up for the service.”

A, I've heard this story before. At least one person royally scammed the government during the GWOT selling snake oil camera technology promising to do the same thing. It was an outright fraud. I don't really believe this stuff works.

B, Even if it does work, as we saw in Uvalde, the failure point is the leadership and will in the first responders. All the tech in the world doesn't matter if the humans behind it decide they don't feel like doing their jobs.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

In several cases the first responders sat around and did nothing after arriving. If the resource officer won't engage the possible bad guy it is useless also.

I see this technology being used by big brother to monitor the streets, and neighborhoods very soon. It will be abused if we don't get this federal government under control.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    We already surrender our privacy every time we look up and see a camera. Street corners, banks, traffic cameras, cameras in semi trucks watching the drivers...I didn't agree to let anyone record my likeness, let we allow it for the common good. For the common fear. For the protection of other people's property. For the general well-being (I guess.)

Top Bottom