Securing your house (windows doors etc.)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    ^^^^Yes, this^^^^

If you slow them down enough then you can introduce them to your "Little friend"
    I know plenty of people who leave nothing of value in their cars, and leave the doors unlocked. They would rather lose the .69$ cents in their ashtray than have to pay who knows how much for a new window when all that was in there to be stolen was .69 cent$.

There was a great show that doesn't seem to be on any longer called "It Takes A Thief". Basically it was 2 ex-thieves that would break into peoples houses, rob them blind, and then tell them what stupid things the home owners were doing wrong. Most of the time they gained entry because a door or window was left unlocked or the homeowner had the ever-so-original idea of leaving a key under the mat. They would also leave all kinds of valuables/personal information/CCs on the kitchen counter for anyone to take or walk off with. It was really a good show and gave a lot of information. One of the main points of the show was deterring and slowing the thief down. The longer it takes someone to break into your house, the greater their chance of getting caught. The longer it takes, the greater chance of them giving up.

Most people don't think to take pictures of every room in their house, record serial numbers of appliances, TVs, computers, guns, EVERYTHING, and keep them locked in a safe place with all unused CCs, check books, CC apps, etc (possibly even with copies stored on a thumb drive at a family member's house). This might be a little off of the original post's intent, but who cares. Maybe this info can help safeguard your house and preps so everything you have worked hard on and put time, effort, and money into is still there when you get home from a long day of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l53oH6DIr1k&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPEhYQo7P4&

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Is this applied like window tinting on a car. Can an individual with some skills do this themselves. Curious.

Yes, it is applied the same way.

The problem is that it is only available from authorized 3M dealers who install it. They won't sell it.

There are other brands, but after doing a lot of research I was sold on 3M as the best of the brands.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I know plenty of people who leave nothing of value in their cars, and leave the doors unlocked. They would rather lose the .69$ cents in their ashtray than have to pay who knows how much for a new window when all that was in there to be stolen was .69 cent$.

There was a great show that doesn't seem to be on any longer called "It Takes A Thief". Basically it was 2 ex-thieves that would break into peoples houses, rob them blind, and then tell them what stupid things the home owners were doing wrong. Most of the time they gained entry because a door or window was left unlocked or the homeowner had the ever-so-original idea of leaving a key under the mat. They would also leave all kinds of valuables/personal information/CCs on the kitchen counter for anyone to take or walk off with. It was really a good show and gave a lot of information. One of the main points of the show was deterring and slowing the thief down. The longer it takes someone to break into your house, the greater their chance of getting caught. The longer it takes, the greater chance of them giving up.

Most people don't think to take pictures of every room in their house, record serial numbers of appliances, TVs, computers, guns, EVERYTHING, and keep them locked in a safe place with all unused CCs, check books, CC apps, etc (possibly even with copies stored on a thumb drive at a family member's house). This might be a little off of the original post's intent, but who cares. Maybe this info can help safeguard your house and preps so everything you have worked hard on and put time, effort, and money into is still there when you get home from a long day of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l53oH6DIr1k&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPEhYQo7P4&

I loved that show. It was always pretty interesting when people thought they had thought of everything and the guy would be inside the house without much effort or anyone noticing.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Yes, it is applied the same way.

The problem is that it is only available from authorized 3M dealers who install it. They won't sell it.

There are other brands, but after doing a lot of research I was sold on 3M as the best of the brands.

What other brands? And why were you sold on 3m? I am thinking for my giant picture window and my patio doors. The patio doors are tempered glass, which will help, but it is still glass. I could always put plywood over them in a longer term SHTF situation, but it would be nice to have some things covered in advance.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Standard doors and windows only keep the not so intent out of your domicile. If someone really wants in they use a battery sawzall and come through the wall. Seen it happen at a friends bike shop. If they want in badly enough, they are getting in.

It is much harder to use this method on brick! :rockwoot:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our BOL has poured concrete outer walls and is almost all below grade. Inside walls are concrete block with one set of steel doors and no windows or exterior doors. Ceiling is poured concrete over corrugated steel. Some vents going outside, which worries me, and two vents in the interior walls.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    PLYLOX™ Hurricane Window Clips

Next house is going to be built with ICF, with a little matching guard shack/servants quarters at the bottom of the hill for jeremy and his .308's to act as an added layer of security.
    Looking forward to moving into a New home already...

Uhhh...

How small is the "guard shack"?!
    My wife has a LOT of crap...

And is this Pre or Post SHTF?!

Just asking because if it is Post SHTF I maybe already committed to building my Fiefdom...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is a PG Forum, and as such there will be no Pictures of any Porking here... :(

Hey, I am dead remember. Pay little or no attention to me. What am I saying, no one does anyway............;)

I was referring to the big bad wolf and the 3 little...Oh heck, never mind.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What other brands? And why were you sold on 3m?
    Don't recall the names of the other brands. 3M actually works. Some are thicker, but less clear and harder to see out of, and tear!!!

I am thinking for my giant picture window and my patio doors. The patio doors are tempered glass, which will help...
    Tempered glass does NOT help. It only means the glass will break into SMALL pieces instead of LARGE pieces. But tempered glass still shatters very easily.

The window films designed for burglar, bomb and hurricane protection are real barriers to entry. The glass breaks but it stays in place. Nothing is perfect, but this stuff will probably stop/foil 90+% of intrusion attempts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't recall the names of the other brands. 3M actually works. Some are thicker, but less clear and harder to see out of, and tear!!!

Tempered glass does NOT help. It only means the glass will break into SMALL pieces instead of LARGE pieces. But tempered glass still shatters very easily.

The window films designed for burglar, bomb and hurricane protection are real barriers to entry. The glass breaks but it stays in place. Nothing is perfect, but this stuff will probably stop/foil 90+% of intrusion attempts.

So, it works like the safety glass in a windshield.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    anyone with the cost to get this installed? I'm finding HIGHLY variable information from $4-26 per square foot, to 150-250$ for a 3x5 window... Don't know how much it might cost from a reputable company in/near Indy?

At the lower end I could probably do the whole hose, at the high end... hmm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If this does truly go on like window tint in a car then it can not be that terribly rough to do. The main thing about tint is prep. It not unlike painting a car, you have to properly prepare the surface and take all the time needed to get it on right. I would like to see this process. As with any repetitive process it would get easier as you went through the house.
    To bad the 3m material is not sold to the general public. I know 2 fellows that are top shelf tint guy's. Probably a piece of cake for them.

Top Bottom