• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We were looking at the Blink before we bought the Arlos, but they went away from the free storage to having to pay for it. Some people hear have them and I'm not sure but some may have been able to keep the free storage. The Arlo we get 7 days of storage I think.

We had a wired setup at our old house and I liked them more, but the install was more involved and almost impossible for our layout here.
    i think I'd like wired better, but husband recently had hip replacement and doesn't want to be in the attic, etc. I'm just picturing the wifi dropping a lot, and me having to mess with it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    i think I'd like wired better, but husband recently had hip replacement and doesn't want to be in the attic, etc. I'm just picturing the wifi dropping a lot, and me having to mess with it.
    Our Arlos also stop working sometimes when it gets really cold, haven't had it happen above 10°

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Swann system? We are researching wireless surveillance/security systems. It is very hard to make a decision! Husband is sold on wireless, wants audio, smart-phone compatible.
    Beware wireless. They have to get power somehow. And that means batteries. Which have to be changed or recharged. Also you want IP cameras. They can be much higher resolution, as well as easier to pull the cables. Analog cameras require each camera wire to be pulled all the way back to then NVR. With Ethernet cameras, you can pull all nearby camera network cables to a common point and connect them to a Power over Ethernet switch. Then you just have to run one wire from that switch back to where the NVR is.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Any wireless aka battery camera will be a pain in the winter. I moved my arlo setup inside where the batteries last forever. And installed a 12 camera Amcrest setup. All wired with my own dvr. Records 24/7 and rewrites after 5 days or so. No cloud monthly spending. I can access recorded files from my phone and export to an iPhone friendly format. Was about $1200 for that setup and then the cat6. But I am able to do all the wiring myself.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I ran electric but not network cable. Now I have over 20" of insulation in the attic that I really don't want to wade thru. Considering pulling siding off and running ethernet cable that way, then maybe I can have an easier way to get it where I need it.

Wish I had run cat5 when I pulled the electric to the corners for lighting. Guess I couldn't think of everything.

Have cameras set up now, but they are picture only, and each is stand alone.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Does anybody have the Arlo Pro 3 currently ? I've been considering this set but have some reservations about battery life. From what I'm reading these can chew up battery life pretty quickly so I wondered if adding the solar panels for a couple of the cameras would eliminate the pain in ass process of charging the batteries every few days. Should I be looking at a different set up altogether ?

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Does anybody have the Arlo Pro 3 currently ? I've been considering this set but have some reservations about battery life. From what I'm reading these can chew up battery life pretty quickly so I wondered if adding the solar panels for a couple of the cameras would eliminate the pain in ass process of charging the batteries every few days. Should I be looking at a different set up altogether ?

Battery life depends on how much activity triggers the camera. I am running a solar panel on an Arlo and it works as advertised. I don't change that battery at all. Just make sure the panel faces south to maximize sun exposure if you can.

Take a look at the Wasserstein accessories. They are a fraction of the cost of Arlo. Their mounts are metal, not plastic. They also make a solar panel.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Good to know & I will take your experience into consideration. I know the Pro 3's rank high on recommended lists but from reading many reviews there seems to be a lot of unhappy users as well, especially considering the over-all costs.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    For what it's worth you may consider the ultra. 4K will let you see facial features in more detail and actually get a license plate. More so than the lower-resolution cameras.

Top Bottom