• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    I have always liked the idea of keeping my iron sights available. You know incase my scope fogs up, drop it, etc. that hasn't happened to me though. I always use the scope. I hunt out of state with a 30-06 woodsmaster and a Nikon scope with see thrus. Now I'm trying to set up a model 700 30-06 and it has iron sights too. The question is "what is the real difference in accuracy between high mounts and low?"

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO if wanting backup irons without full scope removal, it'd be better to have a precision tip off mount that places the scope at proper height (but I bet any of that type made today are $$$$$).
    See throughs..........unless freakishly built and in need of that height............stay away from them.
    Good scopes don't fog up like the old days, where see-throughs offered a chance at a shot when things got cloudy.
    Deer camp mythology is hard to kill.
    But some of it may be based in fact....Rem autos (742).............perpetuated the see through advantage as barrel heat up and wander meant a scope would then be off, yet the irons which tracked bbl movement would still be on. A possible benefit............but very few understood what was going on and exaggerated the rings magical powers.

Your rig, run what you want on it. I'd stay well away from any see throughs.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    IMHO if wanting backup irons without full scope removal, it'd be better to have a precision tip off mount that places the scope at proper height (but I bet any of that type made today are $$$$$).
    See throughs..........unless freakishly built and in need of that height............stay away from them.
    Good scopes don't fog up like the old days, where see-throughs offered a chance at a shot when things got cloudy.
    Deer camp mythology is hard to kill.
    But some of it may be based in fact....Rem autos (742).............perpetuated the see through advantage as barrel heat up and wander meant a scope would then be off, yet the irons which tracked bbl movement would still be on. A possible benefit............but very few understood what was going on and exaggerated the rings magical powers.

Your rig, run what you want on it. I'd stay well away from any see throughs.

Pretty much my thoughts to the tee. With rifles like this you have a few options. Set it up right with Irons, set it up right with a scope. 1/2 way do both and neither preform to their max potential.

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    Well put guys, it's kinda what I figured. I will leave the woodsmaster set up as is. (took my biggest deer with it) I believe I'll scrap the see thrus for the 700 bdl. I may have to remove the rear sight though. I sat a bushnell elite 6-24-50 with low rings on it and the sight seems to be too tall.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I have see-thrus on one rifle & I have never liked them. I found the scope too high for easy use. I am planning on replacing them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Might be worth a try to find Weaver pivot rings/bases or an old Pachmayr mount.
    I saw a 740 with Weaver tip offs not that long ago at my LGS.
    Dunno how well they worked.
    Quick auction sight checked showed they're still out there and not expensive (the Weaver rings/bases.........dunno about the Pachmayr mounts and similar).

Looks like Weaver pivot rings and base #162 (no longer in production).
    From another site (guy said he did shotguns with the rifle mount).
    14820P1290008.JPG

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Copy: Well put guys, it's kinda what I figured. I will leave the woodsmaster set up as is. (took my biggest deer with it) I believe I'll scrap the see thrus for the 700 bdl. I may have to remove the rear sight though. I sat a bushnell elite 6-24-50 with low rings on it and the sight seems to be too tall.

I run a 4-12X Leupold on my 700 .243 and yup........my rear sight had to be removed.
    Weaver bases and medium Burris Signature Zee rings is my preferred 700 setup.

008.JPG

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I've never known anybody to actually use them in a hunting situation.Totaly useless IMO.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've never known anybody to actually use them in a hunting situation.Totaly useless IMO.

I could see their usage if a scoped was damaged (like trip and whacked on a rock). The rig might be usable with irons (should they not get damaged).
    Way out in the boonies that might be of benefit.

A backup rifle would probably be at camp though, or at least a previously sighted scope in rings for easy swap (and recheck). But on the hunt..............such tip offs might be of use.

However, when a gun gets beat up..........usually the shooter does too, and I'd suspect the trip that bashed the scope would probably take the shooter out of the fun for that day as well. But if it happened on a stalk..........such stuff might be of use. Chances are slim, but it could happen.

I'd rather have a more solid bolt-up scope system and be a bit more careful ;)

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I tried the see thru rings. I never liked them the scope was too high to get a good
    cheek weld to the stock. Took them off pretty quick.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I have a rifle with quick detach scope rings. If something goes wrong with the scope, I can quickly take it off and put in my pocket and use the backup peep sight. If I carefully put the scope back on, it repeats zero to about 4" at 100 yards. Okay for a woods range hunting gun until you have the chance to re-zero, but probably not good enough for a bolt action .30-06.

I hate see through rings, personally. I think they look like shinola and have the scope sticking up way too, high. The height of the scope above the bore has a detrimental effect on the rise and fall of the bullet trajectory across the line of sight. Plus, good shooting technique should put your cheek right down on the buttstock, not floating around up where your eye is in line with an elevated telescopic sight. I don't like having two different holds based on which set of sights is being used.

I think the quick detach rings have no draw backs compared to standard rings and they offer the option of being removed and reinstalled in the field if you absolutely have to.

Top Bottom