• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR Maker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Morgan County-MSG2
    I am growing a garden this year for the first time, probably tomatoes, peppers (green and cayenne) cucumbers, and a few other odds and ends. But thinking of sustainablity if I harvest some of the seeds from my crops what do i have to do to them so i can plant them in my garden next season?

:tumbleweed:<---- any help preventing this from happening is very much appreciated.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I usually just throw them into the dehydrator for a few hours and them package them in a zip lock bag until next season. Make sure your seeds are from non hybrid plants as they normally will not germiate. Good planting!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I usually just throw them into the dehydrator for a few hours and them package them in a zip lock bag until next season. Make sure your seeds are from non hybrid plants as they normally will not germiate. Good planting!

This isn't exactly true. Most will germinate. But they will not produce true-to-form in the next generation.

Here's a good write-up on seed saving. Section 1 addresses the hybrid issue. Hybrid Varieties and Saving Seed

And here's a good source book to have on hand for seed saving. I have it and have referred back to it several times. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Growing-Techniques-Vegetable-Gardeners/dp/1882424581/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304109074&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners (9781882424580): Suzanne Ashworth, Kent Whealy: Books[/ame]

Top Bottom