• ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I plan on buying a Savage 110 FCP HS in 338 Lapua Mag in the next couple weeks. It has a 26 in barrel with a 1/9 twist. It is magazine fed. Right now looking at the available projectiles I am leaning towards the Berger # 33109, 300 gr Hybrid Open Tip Match. I think from a terminal performance aspect they are what I want. I have not yet purchased any brass, powder, or dies either. I have been loading over 35 years and have experience with belted mags and even 50 BMG, but I have never loaded for the 338 Lapua. I was wondering if anyone here who is experienced with the 338 Lapua would mind sharing any insights or advice they might have gained through the school of hard knocks. I have heard in the past there have been some issues with certain FL resizing dies and some of the chambers found in the Savage's. Anyway, any and all advice or pointers would be appreciated. This is an expensive project and I would prefer to keep my mistakes to a minimum as they are bound to be costly. Thank you in advance, Dwight D[h=1][/h]

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    I have the same rifle.

I cannot find any of the berger bullets in stock. I have been wanting to try them. However I've been using lapua scenar 300gr with good luck. (More accurate than smk 300). I have tried retumbo and h1000. H1000 has produced better accuracy. But the savage chamber is tight so my accuracy node is pretty hot. And I'm 2 grains below published max. So start to develop your load close to minimum. Brass, go with lapua and lapua only. I get over 10 reloads with the lapua, even with hot loads. I have the redding type s bushing dies, fl body die, neck die, and bullet seating die. I always fl size, bump the shoulder back 1to 2 thous. I have never ran into sizing issues for the savage . I do sometimes get a slight heavy bolt lift (just slightly harder than opening an empty chamber. I also got it with factor rounds. have noticed marks on the fired brass that indicates a rough chamber. Might have savage or a gunsmith clean it up to see if it helps. Or I really want to rebarrel with a 30" match tube.

Its a fun gun to shoot. Enjoy.

Top Bottom