• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Stabbed myself in the meaty part of my right palm last night. Went maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inches deep or so. Ran water on it for a while until it stopped bleeding. Put some cut stuff and a bandage on it.

Pain is mostly dull. Just rebandaged it tonight, was a little bloody, and I can tell the area has swollen. The puncture was clean enough, not serrated. I have pictures if that would be helpful.

Can't do much with right hand now, pretty stiff... Pained if I strain it.

Will it heal fine on it's own? What should I look for and keep an eye on? Swelling is normal, yeah?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Watch for REDness, and loss of movement.... IIRC, infection shows signs, in 7-14 days.... will need medical treeatment, and a Tet shot after that .....:twocents:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Keep it clean and dry. Make sure it heals from the inside out. Don't cut off the air supply to the wound or you could risk anaerobic bacterial infection. Cover with gauze, no iodine or other stuff that will kill tissue.

A tetanus shot would be a good idea.

It doesn't seem to be opening up when moved. It's about 1/4-1/3" long or so
    If it seems to be healing on the outside, you could still have bad stuff happening under the surface.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I'll just come out and say it, I think we are all professional medics here and could help you a lot better with PICS! :D

Edit: I sent that at the same time....dont kill me. Also, you have to be a confirmed follwer of your account to view the pics. Sent request... TheRoodDawg

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    If it is past 24 hours, it might be too late to stitch it up. You should look into a tetnus shot and antibiotics for infection, Like other people stated redness and fever.

Sorry, just read "cobber's" reply about the tetnus shot.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Using a fabric bandage and benzo...something Zinc. Will it get enough airflow from that?
    I wouldn't put any goop on it if it were my hand, but it's gonna smart and leave a scar. Might as well drop in to the clinic and have them check it out. An injury to your hand is not a good thing (no tendons damaged?)...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Peroxide, neosporin, bandage. Rinse and repeat.

If it's only 1/4 in long, I wouldn't bother with getting a stitch, although that's a crappy (inconvenient) place to stab yourself.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Stabbed myself in the meaty part of my right palm last night. Went maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inches deep or so. Ran water on it for a while until it stopped bleeding. Put some cut stuff and a bandage on it.

Pain is mostly dull. Just rebandaged it tonight, was a little bloody, and I can tell the area has swollen. The puncture was clean enough, not serrated. I have pictures if that would be helpful.

Can't do much with right hand now, pretty stiff... Pained if I strain it.

Will it heal fine on it's own? What should I look for and keep an eye on? Swelling is normal, yeah?
    If you have INsurance I would not mess around. Go to you famliy DR. or a Medcheck or somethng. the stiffness and painfull movement would concern me. I had an insect bite on my Shin one time tried treating it myself kept comming and going finally went to Medcheck after just three days of messing with it. Dr damn near put me in the hospital, Had a bad case of Cellulits said if I had waited much longer I migh have lost my leg, and at the very least a stay in the hospital. Puncture wounds can be tricky you might have went deeper than you think. Some infections can get out of control quick!

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I would say since its stiff and the redness go to the doctor just to be safe. That looks kinda nasty and could get infected. Ive gotten cut in that area and even burned in that area and went to the hospital each time. I cut a nerve in my hand and had to have surgery to get it reattached. Your hands are very important to you and your livelihood take good care of them and see a doctor.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I tagged my palm once right above my wrist once(and no, I'm not a cutter) when cutting fabric.... Bled like hell!

If you can move you fingers, cover the wound and keep it clean, it will heal up just fine.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I tagged my palm once right above my wrist once(and no, I'm not a cutter) when cutting fabric.... Bled like hell!

If you can move you fingers, cover the wound and keep it clean, it will heal up just fine.

Severed tendons in my middle finger once, playing with a hatchet when i was 12 and still had full range of motion. :dunno:

I would advise getting it checked out if you have any concern about it...

I wouldnt worry about it personally, but when i cut my hand i believe my comment was, "Let me wash it off and give me some peroxide and gauze, Ill be fine."

Better safe than sorry.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Severed tendons in my middle finger once, playing with a hatchet when i was 12 and still had full range of motion. :dunno:

I would advise getting it checked out if you have any concern about it...

I wouldnt worry about it personally, but when i cut my hand i believe my comment was, "Let me wash it off and give me some peroxide and gauze, Ill be fine."

Better safe than sorry.

Ouch!

If you are really concerned, go to the doc... Otherwise keep it clean and take some pain killers(reduce swelling and inflammation).

Top Bottom