• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Well, as many have said, and as someone who sometimes works in medicine, I recommend that you see a doc, and or nurse practitioner, ect.

That being said, after taking a picture, I would say that hopefully after the initial cut, you cleaned the wound and have been keeping it clean. Other than that, after a day or so, stitches are more or less pointless unless the wound is still open. If it is not closed up all the way and had to make a recommendation other than seeing a professional. I would recommend butterfly strips to close the gap. The smaller the bridge between the skin, the smaller the scar, the faster it will heal. Keep it covered and clean, but also allow it to breathe. Hope it comes out okay......

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Get a shot
    Let air get to it
    keep it clean
    Developes redness and feels warm- go to doc.
    That's just what I've done in the past for good sticks like that.
    YMMV

Bob

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Ok, you're getting the opinions of 2 people in the medical field here, altho I'm retired now. Still, being a Mom qualifies me to diagnosis many issues, and my "other half" does this for a living. Sooo...

We both took a look at the picture you posted and our best advice is this: You can take it to the ER tonight, but all that will do is cost you a huge bill (if you're not insured) or at least a sizable deductible payment if you are. Most likely they won't do anything your doc can't do tomorrow, but it'll cost you a heck of a lot less. That decision is yours, depending on how badly you feel. Take the appropriate action that YOU think is best. We're not there to see it in person, and we don't pretend to be Doctors, play them on TV, or have the experience it takes to become or practice as a Doctor. However, our best advice to you as we see it, is the following:

It's to late for stitches, it's been over 24 hours, besides, they don't usually stitch puncture wounds, to great of a chance for infection if you stitch it. The depth of the wound isn't known, and I DO NOT recommend putting anything in it to find out. It's sore, inflamed, the edges look a bit white, and the area surrounding it is redder than I'd like to see it. The soreness isn't something I like either, so keep an eye on whether it starts to shoot little red lines from the spot outward, that's your first sign of anything bad happening. Oozing viscus fluid is not a good sign as well, and anything "off color" is even worse. Not to mention any type of fever, chills or nausea is a precursor for infection. Neosporin is generally a good antibiotic ointment, but instead of just washing it out, pour some h2o2 (peroxide) on it to flush all the excess dirt and foreign particles out of it, and I mean just pour it on and let it bubble. Then pat it dry with a sterile piece of gauze, put the cream on, and bandage it.

Tomorrow when you wake up, make an appointment to see your reg Dr., and then go in to see him/her. And don't say you don't have the time, you do, unless you don't mind being off work fighting an infection for 5 to 7 days, or depending on the type of infection, possibly longer. Find out the last time you had a Tetanus shot, if it's been within 5 years (for an injury like yours which could be considered high risk) they'll probably give you one. It' beats the alternative. The Dr will probably put you on some sort of oral antibiotics as well, to make sure that if you've already contracted any type of infection, it'll stop it in it's tracks before you really get sick.

They'll probably re-bandage it for you, and give you the advice of keeping it clean and dry, and to re-bandage it about every 12 hours or so. This is good advice, as well as a good precaution to prevent further harm. Don't worry about air getting to it, a certain amount of air flow is a good thing, just don't leave it open to the elements. Try to keep it clean and dry until you get in to see your Dr, but get in tomorrow, at the latest!

If you can't get in to see him, go to the local Doc-in-the-Box to get it treated that way. Don't just rely on what you think will work, leave that up to a professional. This is why they have the M.D. after their names, and have had so much schooling. Also, what did you stab it with, and how dirty was it? Dirt, rust, foreign matter of any sort can cause an infection faster than you would think. So please go in and let them take care of it, before you truly DO need the ER.

Good luck, and I hope your healing is less painful than the injury was.
    Regards,
    7th Stepper

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the advice

Redressed it this morning, very little blood on bandage (figured thatd be done by now). Feels more mobile this morning, but obviously still pained if i over-move it. Wrapped up in pad and tape, made a ppt w/ doc.... unfortunately no openings until 5:30 -_-

Definitely keeping it clean. A lot of the redness in the pic was dried/old blood, i think... but oh well.

Was stabbed with a pretty clean point of metal, brand new and without chance of dirt being on it. Went to catch a falling sword that someone was messing with, and stuck myself on it :P to avoid embarassment, i'll stick with the "barfight" story if anyone else asks.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Soak it in cider.

images

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When you go in, ask for the head nurse. :):
    Tell her you need a distraction for the pain. Couldn't hurt..............Or Could It.

images-1.jpg

See, she's distracting...............Um - I think its a she??

Last edited:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Thanks for the advice

Redressed it this morning, very little blood on bandage (figured thatd be done by now). Feels more mobile this morning, but obviously still pained if i over-move it. Wrapped up in pad and tape, made a ppt w/ doc.... unfortunately no openings until 5:30 -_-

Definitely keeping it clean. A lot of the redness in the pic was dried/old blood, i think... but oh well.

Was stabbed with a pretty clean point of metal, brand new and without chance of dirt being on it. Went to catch a falling sword that someone was messing with, and stuck myself on it :P to avoid embarassment, i'll stick with the "barfight" story if anyone else asks.

OP. I don't know where in IN you are but if you're in NWI PM me and I'll give you a good urgent care centre to go to (There's a few in Porter Co., that I'd recommend).

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Don't you have to urinate on it first to sterilize it?

I thought that step was obvious. I forgot that you people haven't met me in person. I prefer to urinate on my hands to sterilize them regardless. I'm deathly afraid of germs and bacteria in public bathroom. The sink, soap dispenser, the paper towel holder, and the door handle are disgusting. It does suck though as I've had to wait 2 hours several times for someone to come along and open the door so I didn't have to touch the handle. Just a price to pay to stay clean.

Top Bottom