• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Make statements like that and you're going to draw some pretty quick attention. I've seen a company threaten to sue a business associate for making some angry comments detrimental to their reputation on facebook. Unless he can back up those "heat treatment receiver" allegations, I can see the company's issue and injury given he's encouraging them to cancel orders.

Where SEI screwed up was in their response, escalating the situation in front of the internet world and screwing their public reputation. Lack of class. Anger.

It looks like both could be losers in this situation.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...of course another option would have been not attacking a company's reputation. Seems like the OP had a great opportunity to avoid this.....called "judgment".

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    It looks to me like SEI gave him a pretty good out. Look at page 3 of the "Supporting Document (letter from SEI’s attorney) for motion reference:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0Xy...it?usp=sharing" starting with "SEI would prefer to resolve this matter amicably, without the need to engage in lengthy litigation."

They (basically) ask him to stop making any further statements about SEI and post a retraction statement on the M14 Forum, OR provide the identity of his 'reliable source'. To me, if he had a 'reliable source', then why not send them the identity and be done with it? If not, he stuck his foot in his mouth and got called on it. He probably should have just posted the retraction and been done with it.

All that being said, SEI's course of action here is more of a deterrent (to me) from being a customer than something 'some guy on the internet' posted.

Just my :twocents:

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I think if they indeed lost business, it was due to the company not getting products into the end users hands. I read the whole forum and there were people who ordered as far back as Nov 2012 and were like 49 or 51 in line for the completed receivers and still didnt have them. And when you look at SEI web site, it appears crocs is the only dealer. So it appears something is amiss with the whole situation.

If I were waiting for this receiver and cancelled it, it would be because the the companies response, not this guys "claim". I inow that I don't rely on 1 person opinion about a product. From the comments posted there, my perception, is that they ultamitely do not care or sympathize with the end user. Just my perception. That thread had been going in for awhile and the company could have responded in some way with a reasonable explanation. They were obviously monitoring this forum.

Now that this has escalated to this, I would hope that SEI takes a step back and look at how they "handle" these type of issues in the future. Clearly, I disagree the companies response on the forum, if indeed that guy represents SEI. The comments damaged their reputation.

Steell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 10, 2013
    Eaton
    SEI is going to learn about something called the "Streisand Effect" very quickly, and learn it the hard way. Not the first and it won't be the last company to screw themselves. And a corporation suing an individual, in front of a Jury?? Over 1st Amendment issues?? Where's the counter-suit?
    SEI's complaint reads like a product advertisement, loaded with opinion but short on facts.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I can see how if a person were to say "Company X has a defect in their product", when they do not it would constitute libel. But I can't see how saying "I heard from somebody else that company X has a defect in their product" constitutes libel.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I can see how if a person were to say "Company X has a defect in their product", when they do not it would constitute libel. But I can't see how saying "I heard from somebody else that company X has a defect in their product" constitutes libel.

somebody else =/= reliable source. I assume saying he got the info from a reliable source is what opens him up to a suit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How dare a company defend itself against a guy claiming inside information about a manufacturing defect.

What's the world coming to? Next thing you'll tell me I can't make false 911 calls claiming my annoying neighbor is a child molester. I want me my freedom of speech!

Last edited:

Mormprepr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    Whiteland
    somebody else =/= reliable source. I assume saying he got the info from a reliable source is what opens him up to a suit.

That'd be a tough leap. Now I'm just spitballing, and admittedly haven't read through all the documents, but just because a source is reliable doesn't mean it's an insider. Heck CNN said the guy shooting up the navel station had an AR... CNN reliable? Probably mostly, at least in the view of most mainstream media watching folks.

Either way this is by far the funniest thread I've read on ingo.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom