• ...and so much more!
  • cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Hello all,

First of all, I apologize if this topic has been beaten into the ground. I looked back five pages and didn't see topics that looked like exactly what I'm looking for. With that said, I'm in the market for a scope for my M&P 15.

I'm looking to spend between $200-400. I only shoot this rifle for fun, so I can't justify spending $1,000 on the scope, but I don't want to put a POS on my gun either. I usually shoot at Wilbur Wright, so I don't necessarily need anything to shoot further than 75 yards.

One model that caught my eye was the EOTech 512 (I've seen it online for $370 shipped). I like the smaller size of the scope, and from what I've heard it's pretty durable and easy to use. Based on the information I've provided (and let me know if you need any more information), does this sound like a good fit? Or is there a comparable model that I can get cheaper, or a much better model that isn't THAT much more than I listed I'd like to spend?

Thanks for your input :)

Chris

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I had an EO Tech, and after a year I replaced it with an ACOG.

I would highly recommend one. With that said, Aimpoint is a great optic also.

But the most important question is what is the rifle used for.... only plinking at short ranges.

HTH RNM

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Are there any reliable ACOG scopes within that price range? I was under the impression that most ACOG scopes would run closer to $800. Were you disappointed with your EOTech, or did you just decide you wanted something nicer and more expensive (assuming that the ACOG was more expensive)?

And yes, plinking at short range would be the main purpose. Unless someone tries something fishy when I'm asleep.. :draw:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    EoTech IMO is great quality. However its design is close quarter combat. Its not limited to that, but have a large window and simple reitcle for quick target recognition, thats its design. I shoot further and wanted something that would last in case I see SHTF.

I will always stand by Trijicon's Optics, they are top notch.

Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
    $549.95
    ta396.jpg

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Thanks again for your responses.

That trijicon scope is intriguing, but it's still a little bit pricier than what I can afford at this time. I'll definitely keep it in mind though.

I'll look into that Vortex scope. Are they pretty reliable? The price definitely catches my attention, but again, if it's worth it to spend the extra 200 bucks for the EOTech, I'm willing to do so (as long as it stays within my price range).

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Thanks again for your responses.

That trijicon scope is intriguing, but it's still a little bit pricier than what I can afford at this time. I'll definitely keep it in mind though.

I'll look into that Vortex scope. Are they pretty reliable? The price definitely catches my attention, but again, if it's worth it to spend the extra 200 bucks for the EOTech, I'm willing to do so (as long as it stays within my price range).

I actually have the Votex on a Stag AR with a .22 conversion. I've only shot a couple hundred .556 and maybe 1000 rounds of .22, and I've had no problems with the scope. It holds zero well, doesn't fog, all in all a nice scope for $150. My only complaint is battery life, but I just keep a couple of spares in the range bag.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I actually have the Votex on a Stag AR with a .22 conversion. I've only shot a couple hundred .556 and maybe 1000 rounds of .22, and I've had no problems with the scope. It holds zero well, doesn't fog, all in all a nice scope for $150. My only complaint is battery life, but I just keep a couple of spares in the range bag.

Are you copying me? I have one on my Stag AR as well. Like i said i've used Aimpoints, EoTech's, ACOG's in the military and i love them as well. This just happens to be a lot cheaper in price than the aimpoints.

Also i just put a Trijicon Tripower on my Bushmaster and I love it. You may look at those as well.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Are you copying me? I have one on my Stag AR as well. Like i said i've used Aimpoints, EoTech's, ACOG's in the military and i love them as well. This just happens to be a lot cheaper in price than the aimpoints.

Also i just put a Trijicon Tripower on my Bushmaster and I love it. You may look at those as well.

If I was going to copy you, I'd have a lot more cool toys. :D

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Interesting. I'm definitely going to consider this Vortex scope.

I just don't want to spend $150 on this and decide a few months down the road that I want to "upgrade" to the EOTech. At the same time, I'd hate to spend $370 on the EOTech and decide I want the trijicon. -.-

decisions, decisions..

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Interesting. I'm definitely going to consider this Vortex scope.

I just don't want to spend $150 on this and decide a few months down the road that I want to "upgrade" to the EOTech. At the same time, I'd hate to spend $370 on the EOTech and decide I want the trijicon. -.-

decisions, decisions..

Where are you located? If you're anywhere around Indy you can check mine out before you buy either.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If this gun will ever be used in a defensive role, I'd recommend a hard-use 1x optic like an EOTech or Aimpoint. It's no secret that I'd pick the Aimpoint over the EOThingy any day. If you're not .mil or LE, then reliability will probably be more important than 'toughness', but Aimpoint delivers in both of those categories. With a 50,000 (and 80,000 on some models) hour battery life, the optic can stay on and be on when you need it most. But, now you're talking about something above your proposed budget.

Therefore, if you are relegating this AR to plinking duties, there is no shame in easing up on the optic quality and looking at something in a cheaper price bracket. Although I have no personal experience, the Vortex has had some good reviews by fellow INGOers.

An extremely inexpensive optic that I do have experience with is the Micro from Primary Arms. Its under $100, small, lightweight, and unobtrusive. Battery life is more than acceptable for a budget optic.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/71985-primary_arms_aimpoint_clones.html

As the Micro doesn't appear to currently be in-stock, I've also heard nothing but rave reviews on their other models.

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    Moterey - I live in Greenfield, work on the Southside, and go to school downtown. I'm probably going to Wilbur Wright this weekend with my brother-in-law (he just bought his first AR), so if you planned on shooting, maybe we could do that. Otherwise it'd be great to set up a time to meet up briefly so I can check out that scope. Thanks

escrice - This will be another optic I consider. You're pretty much spot on with your comments too. This is mainly a plinker gun, so perhaps I should stick to something more value based, and not overpay for toughness and whatnot.

Thanks again guys

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Moterey - I live in Greenfield, work on the Southside, and go to school downtown. I'm probably going to Wilbur Wright this weekend with my brother-in-law (he just bought his first AR), so if you planned on shooting, maybe we could do that. Otherwise it'd be great to set up a time to meet up briefly so I can check out that scope. Thanks

escrice - This will be another optic I consider. You're pretty much spot on with your comments too. This is mainly a plinker gun, so perhaps I should stick to something more value based, and not overpay for toughness and whatnot.

Thanks again guys

I'll make it to a range sometime this weekend, but not exactly sure which day or what range(kids have baseball and softball). PM me with your contact info and we'll get something worked out. Also, I have the Micro from Primary Arms that Esrice mentioned, but I don't have it mounted at this point. I can bring it along and let you check it out as well.

Joz86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    NWI-Lowell
    CopperWires beat me to the punch, primary arms has great optics in the 100-200 dollar range. I have been using an EOTech 512 on my AR15 for about 7 months now without any issues. Aimpoint is a great optic, but I like the large field of view on the EOTech.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    You might want to look at the Mark AR from Leupold they have one that is 1.5 to 4 power. ( around $270.00) I just bought one for a AR15 i just built. I also have a Aimpoint on my AR15 i use in 3 gun, both work real good just depends on what you want to do.

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Primary arms if you want a cheap but high quality scope for plinking. The red dot scopes they offer are suppose to be in stock sometime next week.

Top Bottom