• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I recently got a Keltec PF9, and really enjoy the small size. However, i am having a difficult time finding a good self defense round for it. I picked up some Federal 124 gr hollow points that the guy at the gun store said were over-runs from the border patrol :rolleyes:. I tried them out, and had at least one FTF on every mag that I ran through it. I had a friend try this ammo in his PF9, and he had FTF on 5 of the 7 rounds loaded. Obviously I need to find a new carry ammo.

The feed ramp has been polished, and it seems to do ok with ball ammo. I ran 200 rounds through it over the weekend without a hitch. But with these hollow points, the round goes up the feed ramp at about a 45 degree angle, and wont level out to go fully into battery.

Any suggestions on ammo? Anyone have a Keltec PF9, and can recommend a self defense ammo that is reliable? :dunno:

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Gold dots run just fine in mine, I've had two. Haven't really found any ammo it didn't like. Did have some cast bullet wad cutters that had some ftf.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have Gold Dots in my SR9c but someone mentioned that the Hornady Critical Defense feed in anything since they have that very pointy front. Also, my Gold Dots were 124gr +P. The Hornady is 115gr regular load.

t_749009825_1.jpg

They worked fine in my brand new (non-fluffed) PF-9. They're in there now.

Of course, I had no problems with the Federal target ammo either...

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I carry Standard Remington 115gr. JHP in mine and have never had a problem with them. I have put some golden sabres +P and have had no problems with them.

farva118

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I had problems with +p ammo in mine for some reason. Standard pressure 115 gr Gold Dots fit the bill nicely.

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I shoot Hornady Critical Defense 115gr JHP through my PF-9. They cycle 100%. They go bang every time. Accuracy was surprisingly good out of that short a barrel. Bad part is they ARE more expensive than 50 rnd count LE boxes of Gold Dots, Winchester LE, and Federal HST's being they only come in 25 round increments. However, I've always found them in good supply everywhere I frequent for ammo.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i tried some Winchester PDX1 and it caused several malfunctions in mine, soo...i would avoid trying anymore +p and just use standard pressure, im hoping that fixes my issues :/

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I reload my own 124gr JHP ammo, and I've ran some factory 115gr FMJ through my PF9 and never had any function problems with my gun.

Top Bottom