Self Defense Ammo Choices For Compact 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What kind of self defense ammo are you folks carrying in your compact 9mm?

Did you base your decision on reviews or shooting rounds yourself? How many rounds have you shot?

I'm curios about bullet weights and loads vs recoil and follow up shots? I have yet to see any companies advertising their ammo for these specific guns as I did .45's for compact 1911's. Maybe I've just missed them?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! :ingo:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Federal HST. In my case 124gr+P, but they have other variations if you prefer.

If you are using a short barrel gun, then I highly recommend the YouTube series by ShootingTheBull410.

9mm Ammo Quest

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Federal HST. In my case 124gr+P, but they have other variations if you prefer.

If you are using a short barrel gun, then I highly recommend the YouTube series by ShootingTheBull410.

9mm Ammo Quest

This. End of thread. Seriously.

I watched numerous ballistics reviews before choosing the Federal HST round. It's also what IMPD carries I believe.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I use 147gr HST. I've fired about 150 of them through my pistol. I managed to pick up 1K of them last year for a good price.

I picked them because of reviews/posted results on the net.

Yote7mmSlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    I feel like a 147 has smoother recoil than that of a 115 or 124 yet you are getting about equal performance ..imo

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Federal HST 124 grain, I chose it due to the many online reviews of how it consistently fully opens and the amount it penetrates.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thank you all for the input! Please keep it coming. :ingo:

CorBon 115gr DPX, I shot literally tons of Jello with Evan Marshall and the DPX impressed me more than any other carry round.

I'm fond of Corbon DPX. Recoil of this round in a compact gun?

OP, how long is your barrel?

Glock 43 - 3.39"

I might add that this G43 is intended as my weak hand BUG, predominantly drawn and shot WHO out of a left hand holster.

Last edited:

Medic2464

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2015
    Greenwood
    Hornady critical defense. They test extensively and I trust them. I test fired many rounds. I can control these very well and my firearm feeds them flawlessly. I suggest you test several diffrent rounds and use what feels best and feeds best in your firearm. Whats best for 1 firearm may not be whats best in another. Realsiticaly all the big names in ammo make great cartriges that will get the job done.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I run with 4 different kinds depending on what I can find and price, these four are my go to.
    147 gold dot
    124 +p golden saber
    124 +p gold dot
    135 +p critical duty

i run this in my Glock 19 and my Glock 43. They run, they work. I've been getting golden sabers on the cheap lately and they have a long track record.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I run Federal HST 147g in all three of my 9mm handguns. My Beretta 92 FS will run anything, my pocket and sub carry guns run the 147s very well and follow up shots with these small guns aren't a problem.
    Although I'm a Federal fan, I wont get locked into a brand unless it feeds perfectly and easy to manage follow-up shots if needed.
    My life may depend on it one day and I'll not risk my life for brand loyalty.

Top Bottom