• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Reading all these posts has really been interesting! A lot more people using hydra-shoks that I would've thought, even though thats what I use. Keep the posts coming, its fun to see what you folks are using.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    My three main guns are loaded with:

EDC, Sig P226: Speer 124gr Gold Dots
    BUG, Ruger LCP: Federal 90gr Hydrashoks
    HDG, Mossberg 590A1: Federal 00 buck LE tactical reduced recoil

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I like all of your choices. I am somewhat baffled by your 12G choice. #5 birdshot for SD? Is that a typo? I have seen bird dogs that were shot with birdshot. They survived the initial shooting.

Do you mean #4 buck?

Thanks. I'm lucky enough to get to talk to some of the guys who test these rounds for PD's.

With the shotgun I worry most about over penetration so I went with #5 birdshot. 00 and even down to BB shot can really travel in unintended directions. It's just a safe bet I guess. In all reality, anyone shot with #5 isn't going to continue with their previous course of action. :dunno:

That's not to say there isn't a stash of 00 buck in the house.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Reading all these posts has really been interesting! A lot more people using hydra-shoks that I would've thought, even though thats what I use. Keep the posts coming, its fun to see what you folks are using.

Hydra shocks are a great round. They work and do as intended. I have several hundred that have outlasted my 2 year rule for SD ammo. After 2 years I rotate it out and shoot the older SD rounds for practice. I'm a little nutty about keeping fresh stock in my weapons.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Hydra shocks are a great round. They work and do as intended. I have several hundred that have outlasted my 2 year rule for SD ammo. After 2 years I rotate it out and shoot the older SD rounds for practice. I'm a little nutty about keeping fresh stock in my weapons.

That's interesting. I got out of shooting (for years ... about 10). And at a range outing with my boys, all that ammo shot off just fine. I don't think what your doing is nutty though. Gotta be ready ...
    picture.php

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    That's interesting. I got out of shooting (for years ... about 10). And at a range outing with my boys, all that ammo shot off just fine. I don't think what your doing is nutty though. Gotta be ready ...
    picture.php

There's no foundation for the rule, just my own little peeve I guess. I've shot 40 year old 45 acp and it worked just fine. The way I see it, every 2 years we see a fairly significant technology increase in ammo manufacture as well as the fact that my ammo may see 2-4 heat cycles if it's in my car. I've never had an issue with old ammo so it's totally unfounded for me to do the swap. I guess I just feel better with fresh ammo.
    :draw:

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville

I think I'm gonna start rotating out my SD ammo, as well. If nothing else it's an excuse to get out and go shooting!

Top Bottom