• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    Scenario...you are at home by yourself with a young child, you hear footsteps and rustling outside of your door, before you can even process the footsteps a chainsaw (yes, chainsaw) begins cuttting it's way through your front door. No way to identify who is outside, just a bunch of noise and a chainsaw in the process of breaching your front door. The child is crying, saw is sawing....you are armed and have seconds to decide before the door no longer seperates you from whatever is on the other side. What do you do?

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Grab child and barricade us in the master bedroom... Grab Shotgun from closet.

Dial 911...

Pray for the dog...

If he comes near bedroom door I will unload my pistol and extra mag through the door...31 rounds of 40S&W.. If he keeps coming I have 5 rounds of 00 buck in the pump 1 in the chamber and 5 more in the side saddle.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Protect child. Draw weapon. Issue verbal commands. Wait for breach of door. One last verbal command. (probably as I am pulling the trigger)

ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    My first thought was that I would grab
    the nearby wrought iron table lamp and
    foul the chainsaw.

Thanks

Mark

interesting...but now they are kicking in the door. It WILL be opening one way or another. Whoever it may be is dead set on getting in. Chainsaw is eliminated, threat is not. What do you do?

repped for creativity

Last edited:

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Secure the child, if child is old enough get them to call 911.
    Take up good shooting position.
    Wait for person with chainsaw to come through door.
    Empty all into chainsaw person.

Honestly, if there is someone using a chainsaw on my front door they are intent on getting in. I honestly wonder if I'd wait for them to clear the door or unload on the door. I hope to never find out.

ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    This is a mental exercise based on an actual and recent occurence (not personal). I'll post up the details soon but was interested to see what INGO members would do without the benefit of hindsight....All responses so far seem thoughtul, plausible, and reasonable for someone in this particular situation though.

I don't believe I would put shots through the door, but I am certain I would remove the child to a back closet or something like that and then prepare to confront the threat once the door opens.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I believe they've already breached your house by passing through the door with the deadly spinning blades of a chainsaw. I don't think you need to wait until he/they physically come through the door to open up. I don't think anyone would doubt that it is a "good shoot" if you were to open up on the chainsaw operator. Perhaps our in-house conselor can comment on that.

You are supposed to know your target and what is beyond it...but it's safe to assume that the girl-scout troup isn't standing right behind the guy, only more bad guys perhaps.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is stuck in my mind now...will be hiding under my desk.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    interesting...but now they are kicking in the door. It WILL be opening one way or another. Whoever it may be is dead set on getting in. Chainsaw is eliminated, threat is not. What do you do?

repped for creativity

Thanks 1

Like,that was my first thought.
    Because my door has glass and a locked
    glass storm door,I would , perhaps very
    foolishly,look to see who's there.
    Hello Mr. Firefighter?

Mark

ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    ^^ really close ;)

I'm not trying to trick anyone here...all of the responses seem reasonable given the situation. Except the nachos...I freakin love me some nachos but the cheese and jalapenos are never as good at home compared to the vendors. I'd opt for popcorn but that's just me.

Here's what we know:

FBI cuts down Mass. mom's door in wrong-home raid - Yahoo! News

If you fired through the door, you just potentially shot a federal agent and the rest will presumably return fire.

If you wait until it breached, based on the responses above, you just welcomed a swat team with the barrel of your drawn firearm.

No-knock warrants are scary business. I'd expect a pizza guy to get the address wrong, but not an armed swat team executing a warrant with a chainsaw.

In any case, whether it's a chainsaw or someone banging/kicking your door. I think it's good to think about how you would deal with a child or your family, and then react to the threat. A home invasion is (hopefully) more likely than what this mother had to deal with. The first few minutes of either event probably don't seem all that diffferent though.

At least they apologized...I'm heading out for some nachos. :ingo:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    first off, i would wonder who the heck the kid there with me was, as i have none of my own. second off, forget whose kid it is, i would send them to the basement, as close to secure as possible hand them the phone if old enough and tell them to call 911. (i live right across the st from danville cc, so kid tells them danville gun club, they will figure it out from there). assuming this is my house i can see through the glass in the door and figure out who it is and shoot through said glass. if not, and its somehwere else where i cannot see I will secure my position and as soon as that person makes themselves an unobstructed target i will unleash speedy little friends to dispatch said chansaw maniac.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Honestly, i think i would A) Be scared crapless that i just stood there weapon drawn. Or B) Be laughing my @$$ off knowing that this moron is ripping my door apart while im sitting the other side with a . 40 S&W ready to go.

Either way, i couldn't see myself just unloading on the door. I would personally like to see the crackhead who was dumb enough to take a chainsaw to my very expensive wooden door.

HOWEVER! Correct me if im wrong, but at that point, by law, if someone WERE to open fire on the door and kill the suspect in question, wouldnt it be legal to do so? Doesnt the law state that deadly force my be used if your life is in danger, to protect personal property from harm, and trespassing? All of which defiantly present in this scenario. Like i said, correct me if im wrong

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Get the child and myself to my room where all I have to do is grab my SKS insert a 30 rd mag and have 3- 20 rders loaded up.handgun has 2 spare mags above bed, call cops raise rifle prepare to make swiss cheese.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    If you fired through the door, you just potentially shot a federal agent

Under this particular scenario this bothers me not a bit. If the bullet passed thru and killed three more it still wouldn't bother me. Jack booted thugs are jack booted thugs no matter what flavor or uniform they wear. If they are so careless with my life, my safety, and my rights then any untoward consequences that happen to them fall on their heads, not mine.

and the rest will presumably return fire.

Shoot and move. Anyone who shoots at a threat and stays in the same spot to receive return fire is someone who is poorly trained.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The FBI has apologized and is paying for the damage.

Mistakes happen. But when it comes to potentially harming (especially permanently) an innocent party when these things happen, I believe the police, FBI, or whatever should be especially careful to make sure they're going into the correct residence. It would be interesting to know how this got all screwed up.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Once concern I have is the legal repercussions should you open fire (and survive). While I woudn't fire through the door, I would be waiting and ready to open fire as soon as chainsaw dude made his way through. With all the excitement, can I be 100% sure that my mind would register the uniform before the trigger finger twitched? :dunno:

And taking into account the previous home invasion cases where the "suspects" were impersonating police? How can I be sure you are who you say you are unless I see that legal document?

Seems like these no-knock warrants are a danger to the officers; as well as citizens. And if I was in this situation and mistakenly opened fire on an officer (despite them showing up at the wrong house and going texas chainsaw massacre on my front door), I can see things going very badly for me in the legal system afterword. I wonder if there's any precedent for this kind of situation? I'd hate to be the one setting it!

Top Bottom