• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    i just read a post about defending against a stab and it seems that those situations are rarely, if ever, brought up. I bought a book on krav maga(IDF hand to hand combat) after a few incidents that my girlfriend went through at work where the police told her they had more important things to worry about. I was pleasantly surprised with how simple it is to learn and its effectiveness and feel much more comfortable should she or i end up in a bad situation unarmed. i am wondering if anyone here has looked into or taken courses to defend themselves should they or their significant other be in a no carry zone, surprised by an armed assailant etc?

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I took 4 years of Taekwando several years ago. I think I could still hold my own, but it is a perishable activity and I no longer take classes. I still remember alot of the moves and holds, but I would still rather depend on my situational awareness and my 1911, or Spyderco.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I've taken a women's self defense seminar and watched (and helped him learn) my son's TKD/Kung Fu/Hapkido class's for a few years so I know I wouldn't be an easy target, but I'd rather have my gun and knife just in case

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hundreds of tools and hundreds of schools/teachers/styles.

But stuff of this nature can't really be "learned" by reading a book or watching a video.

It must be done. And done often.

From what's been discussed on the board in the last few years that I've been here, is that the Krav Maga that's sold in the classes here in the states is a pales in comparison to the "real" thing in Israel.

KM is a dirty style; use anything and everything that you can to save your own bacon and ensure that you come out of the scrap alive and in better shape than the assailant/assailants.

Reading the book isn't going to teach you how your body reacts to a punch in the nose or a knee to the ribs. Or how to keep defending yourself once that happens.

*Look at me, I sound like I know what I'm talking about... Disclaimer: I'm not schooled/learned in ANYTHING related to any kind of martial art, just regurgitating "stuff"*

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    MA, traditional and mixed, since I was five or so.

If you are in a knife fight, prepare to be cut.

Josh

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm not sure why anyone would rely solely on one tool for their self-defense. There are so many times when it's not the right tool for the job.

And :+1: on not learning KM (or any self-defense) from a book. That's a fine supplement for the academic side of understanding what you're doing, but worthless for learning techniques and developing muscle memory.

Also :+1: on Josh's knife comment. Knives are by far more dangerous than a gun. The only thing a gun has over a knife is range.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Lots of good comments here. I would just add two things:

1. The average fight lasts only 10 seconds.
    2. The person who strikes decisively first is most often the winner.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Lots of good comments here. I would just add two things:

1. The average fight lasts only 10 seconds.
    2. The person who strikes decisively first is most often the winner.

The fight last until I get one clean punch to the head in... Then its time to poor water on his head and wake him up. lol

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    clean punch to the head... all depends on what part of the head you hit.

Forehead? Crown? back of the head above the neck?

Hate to tell you, but a square punch on someone's forehead generally isn't going to knock 'em out. They'll be awake and you'll have broken fingers or wrist, considering that's the hardest part of the skull.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm not a student of any sort of unarmed defence, but since I can't carry at work I tend to go around looking at what's around me and thinking of what improvised weapons are at hand and what their most effective method of employment is - a heavy wrench, a steel pen, throwable objects to distract an attacker, etc.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Weaponless self defense to me = eye pokes and groin kicks. If someone decides to let it go to the point where that is needed, rules don't apply. I'm to old and my face is to pretty.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I studied Taekwondo for a year and a half, and made the rank of first degree black belt. Also I learned a lot while in the service. I'm confident that I can defend myself open hand, or with a weapon. Actually going to see about teaching some self defense classes at my Church. Also the comment about punching to the head. The forehead is the hardest bone in your body. Unless you have iron hands, you are probably going to break you hand. The best place to aim for in the sides, or front of the chin. Or you could do a biracial stun. With a closed fist strike the biracial veins on the side of the neck. It temporally shuts blood off to the brain. It causes an attacker to temporally loose body function. Hard enough and you can actually drop someone. Also learning preassure points will give you a big advantage.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I was a boxer for 8 years, If he can knock me out with one punch then I picked the wrong fight.

Seems like you're forgetting us grapplers...

Confidence is good. Overconfidence, not so much.

Know your abilities. And I think if you can pick your fights, then you should sorta', you know, walk away from most.

Fights are the result of FAIL.

Josh

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    as a young man i often went to drinking establishments to perfect my hand to hand combat skills...now that i no longer drink(25 yrs),,,,,and in my 50's...well..theres a old saying..."i may not be as good as i once was...but i'm as good once as i ever was".....if i may speak for the oldtimers.....don't let the grey hair fool ya!...but i do agree...you have to practice ..it has to be second nature...take boxing lessons...wrestling... and it dosn't mean squat if ya aint got the stamina....

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    since I can't carry at work I tend to go around looking at what's around me and thinking of what improvised weapons are at hand and what their most effective method of employment is - a heavy wrench, a steel pen, throwable objects to distract an attacker, etc.

+1 I'm not allowed to have "weapons" in the building....I get my knife by because I need it to cut open boxes....but I did listent to some pod casts by Gavin DeBecker about self defense and on his advice, got a solid steel cased ink pen....if I gotta carry an ink pen, make it something I might be able to use to defend myself, couldn't hurt.

Top Bottom