Self driving cars??? A boom or a bust???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I watched a video yesterday on the new Tesla model x with the auto pilot and it would be about as far as I would go. It gives you the option to easily take over and Tesla even wants you to keep your hands on the wheel at all times. If it senses your hands have been off the wheel too long it will ding at you and even start to slow down.
    I would never want the car to have full control at all times , but I think it would be kind of nice on long road trips.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Well if Tesla wants you to keep your hands on the wheel, doesn't that negate the reason to have a "driverless" car? This whole thing is disturbing. Anyone know if these cars have been tested on icy roads?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    They'll fail on the private side and then they will get tax payer money to keep them afloat just like solar and wind.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, who knows how fast he was going. It sounds like a fail for the software though.
    What we know is that the vehicle was on a divided highway with Autopilot engaged when a tractor trailer drove across the highway perpendicular to the Model S. Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied. The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer, with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S. Had the Model S impacted the front or rear of the trailer, even at high speed, its advanced crash safety system would likely have prevented serious injury as it has in numerous other similar incidents.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah, who knows how fast he was going. It sounds like a fail for the software though.

I think the self driving vehicle is inevitable, but I'm in no hurry to be a beta tester. Sort of like new airplanes, space travel, or crossing oceans on wooden boats. Somebody has to be first, that somebody won't be me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It will be interesting to see if they believe a human driver could have saved himself.
    I would guess a human MAY have noticed the tractor trailer well before it actually entered the highway, and even been able to distinguish a light-colored trailer from the sky. The Tesla simply does not have peripheral vision, nor vision tuned to detect movement and patterns like a human.

Then again, maybe computers have finally reached the same "I just wasn't paying attention" level as us humans.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think the self driving vehicle is inevitable, but I'm in no hurry to be a beta tester. Sort of like new airplanes, space travel, or crossing oceans on wooden boats. Somebody has to be first, that somebody won't be me.
    Seems like it will only really work if all cars are self driving.

I am with you though. I have no interest in blazing that trail.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would guess a human MAY have noticed the tractor trailer well before it actually entered the highway, and even been able to distinguish a light-colored trailer from the sky. The Tesla simply does not have peripheral vision, nor vision tuned to detect movement and patterns like a human.

Then again, maybe computers have finally reached the same "I just wasn't paying attention" level as us humans.

Probably. On the other hand, I had Jimbo (or Jimbette, not sure) cross completely into my lane on a 2 lane highway through a wooded area last week. Luckily I had time to get on the horn and get them back in their lane before making the decision to ditch into the trees at 55mph. Computers aren't on their cell phones, asleep, or drunk, either.

I would suppose the transition will be some hybrid, like Tesla is advocating at the moment where computers do the heavy lifting but under direct human supervision, and the scale will slide more and more to the computer end of it over time.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Probably. On the other hand, I had Jimbo (or Jimbette, not sure) cross completely into my lane on a 2 lane highway through a wooded area last week. Luckily I had time to get on the horn and get them back in their lane before making the decision to ditch into the trees at 55mph. Computers aren't on their cell phones, asleep, or drunk, either.

I would suppose the transition will be some hybrid, like Tesla is advocating at the moment where computers do the heavy lifting but under direct human supervision, and the scale will slide more and more to the computer end of it over time.
    The problem is that the human is already not paying attention. This just makes them feel more at ease not paying attention.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Was it texting while driving?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Cars bad. Car companies bad. Mass transit good. Suburbs are just there because people needed a reason to buy cars.

That was what I got from that article.
    Because ruralness is inversely proportional to morality.

Top Bottom