• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Paul may have some interesting personality quirks, but it's hard to challenge his thoughts around self defense and what really happens and works in a confrontation. Everything he teaches has been seriously road tested.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Some of us (for better or for worse sometimes) pursue this as our lifestyle. Instead of playing golf we shoot IDPA or ISPC or 3 gun (and yes even CAS), instead of working on our cars we work out and work on the heavy bag and the BOB, we schedule vacation time to go take classes or go to seminars and we read books about OODA cycle and decision making instead of Harry Potter or John Grisham.

Is a sub one second draw and shot time from concealment really NEEDED? Who knows? But I'm glad I have it. Is the ability to do a one handed weak handed reload needed? Hope to never have to but I have that box checked also if I need it. Will I ever need to know how to apply a choke hold again? Maybe not...but I'd rather have the skill and not need it than to need it and not have it......

I look at it as a self preservation issue. Who WOULDN'T want to be awesome at defending themselves instead of just being barely competent? Anyone? Why not? Oh wait...because it involves work and commitment? Hmmmmm......interesting.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Great article, applies to all aspects of life… ichokepeople, what kind of gym to do workout at? I wish I had time to do some hand to hand training, there are great options where I live, just need time and a lot of extra cash right now:D Maybe this fall!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    *I'm* old and feeble, but Jack is an EXCELLENT instructor, phenomenal competitor, true student of it all, and very nice guy. And I train with a lot of guys who are legitimate BAs, and really nice people. Jack creates a great atmosphere of teamwork and no-ego training. If you ever have the chance to see him or train with him, take it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    *I'm* old and feeble, but Jack is an EXCELLENT instructor, phenomenal competitor, true student of it all, and very nice guy. And I train with a lot of guys who are legitimate BAs, and really nice people. Jack creates a great atmosphere of teamwork and no-ego training. If you ever have the chance to see him or train with him, take it.

Too much sweating and touching and touching of sweaty dudes.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Ok cool, I live in Terre Haute so this is the great option I was talking about! I have been wanting to do it for several years like 5 or 6 honestly. Seems like I am either too busy to commit or broke. I'll after way too many years graduate in May! So I may have to come check it out around that time when I'll have money, be working(only), and no longer be a "student" in life!

I've always thought the best of things of it so I am putting this on the short list I think here and now

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Paul may have some interesting personality quirks, but it's hard to challenge his thoughts around self defense and what really happens and works in a confrontation. Everything he teaches has been seriously road tested.

It just became evident to me that there are two "Pauls" in play here.

For clarification, Paul Sharp is not the Paul I was talking about in my comment above. The second part, about his thoughts and skills, would still be true about Paul Sharp. I have no idea about his personality quirks -- that part was about a different Paul.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    iChokePeople;4889985. For clarification said:
    Well, had the class with Paul Sharp this weekend and I am happy to report there were no noticeable personality quirks. As a matter of fact, I thought considering his very advanced level of skill and training, and the fact that he is a veteran LEO, he was surprisingly humble and an overall nice guy. This was a shooting class but I would be happy to take any class that he is offering. Honestly, even though he may not be well known outside of small circles, his ability to teach was beyond what I have found in more "name" people that I have trained with.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Sharp is well-known in the grappling/martial arts community, and I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him. The sbgi gang is generally held in high regard.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    This is somewhat similar to some of the conversations we have had about caveman vs. athlete, no?

Self-protection/self-perfection, a working model. Part 1. | sharpdefense

I agree...

One of my instructors likes to say "fighting first, systems second". In other words people need the fundamental skills to survive violence first THEN if they have the time, energy and desire to continue long-term training they can work on perfection of skills. The primary issue is that the majority of people who need or require the skills to protect themselves don't have the time, energy, or desire to go the self-perfection route. Most want skills they can use almost immediately without the long-term investment. While not ideal it's an unfortunate reality.

Steve

Top Bottom