• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cassada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Looking for some feedback from like minded people. I have a Polish Tantal Folder in 5.45x39. It is a smooth, accurate, no frills shooter. I am thinking about selling it to put the funds towards other prepardness needs. IE: food and water storage, ammo, ect, ect. Funds are low and the ability to get top dollar is tempting. I have three other people under my roof and I need to consider their needs. The ammo only being available as an import and not being able to re-load it, as well as not being able to put an optic on it makes its use limited in my eyes. Your Feedback???

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    Now is a great time if you're planning on selling. I'd been wanting to sell my AR since August to put the money into livestock, so as soon as I found an Arkansas gun forum I sold it in about 20 minutes and bought myself some fencing and two goats :). No haggling, bumping, or phantom buyers, first guy to call met me after work with cash.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Looking for some feedback from like minded people. I have a Polish Tantal Folder in 5.45x39. It is a smooth, accurate, no frills shooter. I am thinking about selling it to put the funds towards other prepardness needs. IE: food and water storage, ammo, ect, ect. Funds are low and the ability to get top dollar is tempting. I have three other people under my roof and I need to consider their needs. The ammo only being available as an import and not being able to re-load it, as well as not being able to put an optic on it makes its use limited in my eyes. Your Feedback???

I understand your predictiement, been there myself. I would hold on to it unless you really hate it. Brass cases are available, but can be expensive as is everything at the moment. However, unless you have better/other means to help protect against your preps, then the preps could fall into other hands in a true SHTF situation.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Given the caliber, accuracy, inexpensive, etc. it's a great SHTF gun. You can stockpile ammo a lot cheaper. I would probably look for another gun to sell for the purpose personally.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    IMO, keep it. The toughest things to get for prepardness right now are guns and ammo. As you get a few extra bucks here and there, put it to the other stuff like food and gear. Maybe that changes in 6 months and you re-evaluate.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Is it your only semi auto rifle? If so then keep it. I think semi auto rifles with large magazines are going to be needed. If its an extra gun in an extra caliber then dump it.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    If that Tantal is Century you should dump it now while you can get ANY kind of good price for it.

If it isn't and has the original Polish barrel you should save it and sell a different gun instead. Polish builds are about as good as it gets and that barrel isn't coming back into the country anytime soon. Original barrel Tantals are about as good of a SHTF gun as they get.

Everything else you need for SHTF can be had weekly right now atm. Toilet paper, water, canned foods, dry goods, medicines... that Tantal isn't though.

CAI - sell
    Not CAI - keep

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not enough information. As previously addressed, preparedness is a comprehensive issue and you need to have food, water, inedible expendables, shelter, and mobility all covered. Starving to death well armed and having all your preps taken because you sold your only gun to buy them are equally bad outcomes.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Disirregardless (triple negative FTW) with prices being so high and Century Tantals being next to garbage you should sell it anyways and come out ahead on that deal. Assuming it is a CAI Tantal of course.

Cassada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I did forget to ad that i have a Rock River AR as my primary carbine. I have it scoped, ammo, and plenty of mags. The tantal was, until recently, a cheap "fun gun". The reason I have always seen to keep it is my wife could operate it easly and handle the light recoil in a WROL situation.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    The reason I have always seen to keep it is my wife could operate it easly and handle the light recoil in a WROL situation.

Does she have access to another gun that she can handle as well. If it is really just a range toy and not part of you or your wifes oh **** gun, then I would sell and let if fund something else that you have a need for.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I'd sell it anyway being an odd ball caliber (here in America) and get another rifle in a common caliber or at least the caliber of my other rifles , you said you have an AR right ?

Yeah sure it may be a fun range gun now but in the future , ammo and parts for this rifle might become hard to get .

On the other hand , everybody and their brother has an AK or AR so parts and ammo will still be available if the imports stop .

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!

If the end does come for alot of us! your Guns and ammo can be traded for food or water! or what ever you need! I say keep them! :D

Cassada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Just a side note. I posted this same topic on The Long Guns Thread. I am getting help and advise here. On that thread it seems im just getting offers. Funny how that works out. If i did sell it i would most likely invest in a lever gun with ammo and a small water prification system. FYI

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's a tough call. Only you can weigh your level of preparedness in each particular area vs. the risk of particular SHTF.

Here is my take on it. If you can sell items now to benefit your family in some other way without detrimentally impacting that area of your preps then do it.

If your wife is trained to shoot and you expect her to shoot, but thats the gun you expect her to use if she needs to defend herself/your home etc, then I wouldn't sell.

OTOH, if you have several guns and selling that one won't detrimentally effect your firearms area of preparedness and you have other areas that need some help, then sell.

I'm currently selling ammo on gunbroker and it's bringing over $1/round. My sale of ammo doesn't affect my stash because I have several thousand of my personal reloads and I have enough components to reload even more above and beyond that amount. The cash from the sale will help prepare me for future financial woes and to acquire other things that I want/need to have more than ammo.

Top Bottom