• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I went to sell a pistol to someone, and during the course of talking to them, i discovered their significant other, who lives in the house, is prohibited from owning handguns. Im curious as to whether or not i should abandon the transaction.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    If I knew something like that I would probably drop it and move on. If this person ended up using the pistol for wrongdoing I would have problems with my conscience. But then I can be a big wuss sometimes.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i dont have a conscience, and its not a friend. im just wondering if it could come back on me if i knowingly sell a gun into a home where one party is not allowed to have them.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would hold off. No explanation necessary. But if they press for one, just tell them the truth.

If the person you are selling it to are life long friends with you, they should understand. If they are not well known to you, it might be better if you just sold it to me. ;)

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh in that case. If Liability is your sole concern, you'd be legal - but civil courts can drag you there for anything.

If something were to happen with the disqualified getting a hold of the weapon and later it was determined that you knew it was a possibility, the family of could file a lawsuit against you.
    I douobt it would stick - just an expensive pain in the wallet area.

Don't sell it to them.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    yea, i guess thats the best advice. i was brutally honest. your fiance is a turd and im not selling a gun into your house. oh well. thanks for swaying me in the right direction.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    yea, i guess thats the best advice. i was brutally honest. your fiance is a turd and im not selling a gun into your house. oh well. thanks for swaying me in the right direction.
    Smart move. With whats going on in the courts today who knows what would happen in regards to you.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Well, ok this thread brings up a good question. Lets say that someone wants to get married, live together, whatever, and they own guns, doesnt matter how many or what kind, just that they own guns. Their new husband/wife, girlfriend/boyfriend, whatever, is a ex-con and felon. Would the felon be under legal jeopardy for just living in the same house where weapons are stored. The felon has no intentions on handling any of the firearms, just living in the house.

INGunGuy

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What's that annoying cliche'? It goes like, "Possesion is 9/10th of the law". TV characters and ahole people in real life say it all the time. But it's kind of true.

A cop might find the gun and the legal owner could be down to the market or whatever. Mr. or Mrs. ex-con is going to be screwed.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    I don't have an issue with it. I also don't have "standard" morals, nor do I care if someone ends up using a firearm I owned to commit a crime.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess if I sold something like a high performance high powered Camaro to a person who was known as a wreckless jerkwad that would eventually run over a little old lady whilst drinking booze and smoking grass and blowing through a red light, I would feel bad about the old gal. But the wreckless jerkwad would have just as likely killed her with a Ford Pinto.

But when it comes to the firearm wrecklessness, whenever something happens, blame gets handed around.

It's not by luck alone that I've never had to go through any of that drama.

Top Bottom